Author Topic: Virtual Garden Visits  (Read 1368 times)

bwillett

• View Profile
Re: Virtual Garden Visits
« Reply #50 on: 25 April, 2020, 11:17:53 »
A couple of Meconopsis group seed-derived flowers to brighten the day!
Sulphurea and punicea. Also flowering is pseudointegrifoila X Lingholm.

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26 April, 2020, 11:29:42 »
A few recent images from my garden; not Meconopsis as yet but more in the way of companion plants. The Erythronium's in the images are White Beauty mixed in with the Anemone Nemorosa cultivar and the pink one is I think probably one called Kinfauns Sunset. Many years ago Evelyn Stevens gave me one bulb of the pink cultivar, telling me that it was quite scarce. I've never touched it since then and it has bulked up pretty well in a bed which used to have Meconopsis in it. I think it looks like there are a few seedlings from it just a short distance from the parent plant. The first three images are definitely the parent plant, the last three a seedling and the other three are kind of in the middle between the two clumps. I don't think there is very much difference in the seedlings from the parent plant; saying that I will divide them this year and keep them separate just to see what they do in future years.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 29 April, 2020, 22:50:56 »
Great images by all, keep posting.   Allan,  an amazing purple Erythronium  from Evelyn,  I'll need to get some of that from you. I have had my labourer working away and the latest project involved tidying the garage and rescuing wood that has been in there for years and was used for any old purpose.  Now I have a great solid wooden trough for my  divisions of M.quintuplinervia and M.cookei 'old rose' from Margaret T.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:15:45 »
And the winner of the Meconopsis Competition was anyone who enjoyed their beauty!

Thanks for your contribution Lai. It was most appreciated.

Ian

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
  • Welcome to the Meconopsis Group Forum
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #54 on: 30 April, 2020, 15:28:06 »
Sorry I was late to it Ian. They were however beautiful pictures. Thanks
Matt Heasman

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:39:05 »

Meconopsis racemosa

Personally, I find it difficult to distinguish between Meconopsis racemosa and Meconopsis zhongdianensis when of garden origin.

Kit G-K's book separates thus:
Meconopsis racemosa has a shorter seed capsule (9-17 mm excluding the style) and a white/greyish stigma;
Meconopsis zhongdianensis has a longer seed capsule (15-34 mm excluding the style) and a green/greenish-yellow stigma

Meconopsis racemosa

Meconopsis rudis

I admit I really struggle with identifying these without knowing their exact locations and looking them up in the book... I was guessing locations for them, the racemosa/zhongdianensis looks an awful lot like a certain rock you pass heading up to the scree at Tianbaoshan, and if I remember my book correctly racemosa only occurs in N/W Sichuan? The second racemosa and the rudis were photographed where? I thought I saw black spots under the racemosa thorns, but that might just be my eyes playing a trick...

M. rudis (I think?) from Hongshan below:

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01 May, 2020, 09:11:13 »
Hi 'Arisaema'

You are in a much better position, than I am, to discuss Meconopsis rudis characteristics.  Personally I would have said that the previous image was not Meconopsis rudis as I would have expected much more distinct purple markings at the base of the leaf spines.

Here are 2 images of first generation plants from '7160' currently growing in my raised bed

I would have identified it as Meconopsis prattii rather than Meconopsis rudis, knowing that both grow in the same area that the seed came from, but this is heavily biased because of the lack of blotching.

This one looks very similar to your image when comparing the flower bud, and there is a very small amount of blotching on a couple of the leaves, whereas other leaves are absolutely devoid of any purple leaf spine marking.

My basic question would be - in the wild, do you get distinct variations to the degree of leaf spine blotching amongst plants in the same location?

P.S. And before anyone  asks, yes, there are two smaller growing tips beside the main stem.  The module may have had three seedlings it in originally, or perhaps the plant is producing side crowns, I don't know.  And I'm not inclined to dig it up to find out!

The first flower opened today.  A nice blue with six over-lapping petals. Anthers darker than the petal colour, white stamen and pale green tip to stigma. Several caudal leaves separate from each other up the stem, decreasing in size so that top ones resemble bracts with flower buds in nodes. Raceme of 10 flower buds, top one opening first. Height of plant in flower 250mm.

The leaves are pale green (not glaucous) tapering to leaf stalk, 100mm by 35mm. Midrib has reddish colouration in some plants, but others are just green. Stiff spines on both sides of leaf, usually more on surface side. Very slight reddish marking at base of leaf spines on some leaves, but independent of mid-rib colouration.

« Last Edit: 20 May, 2020, 21:17:55 by IanScott »

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 01 May, 2020, 10:36:55 »
My basic question would be - in the wild, do you get distinct variations to the degree of leaf spine blotching amongst plants in the same location?

That is indeed the main issue - that, and of course the fact that there's little left of the foliage in late autumn. The above flowering plant is from Hongshan, to the NE of Xianggelila, as is this one:

They both grew on the very same mountain, just a couple of kilometers apart... M. prattii, M. rudis - I guess one might come across both, but being monocarpic poppies you'd think they'd be one or the other.

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 01 May, 2020, 10:47:28 »
Here are 2 images of first generation plants from '7160' currently growing in my raised bed

I would have identified it as Meconopsis prattii rather than Meconopsis rudis, knowing that both grow in the same area that the seed came from, but this is heavily biased because of the lack of blotching.

Again, you could very well be right... That particular collection was from Tianbaoshan, a very rough limestone scree, what I'd sort of expect would be the habitat of the (quite possibly elusive?) M. rudis, but the leaves are only somewhat spotted.

« Last Edit: 01 May, 2020, 10:55:57 by arisaema »

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 01 May, 2020, 11:41:02 »
Well, which ever it is, I can only says that it is an attractive plant and I have it isolated from anything which could cross with it, so we should be able to maintain a true strain.  I'll add some images of flower and seed capsule as the year progresses.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 01 May, 2020, 13:20:11 »
These are from seed WO-7160 which flowered on my allotment last year.
There was nothing nearby to cross with & I have just been pricking some seedlings from them out this morning.

Inserting them in the text seems to have chopped abit off so I have also uploaded them as attachments
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2020, 13:32:10 by Blue Stu »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #61 on: 01 May, 2020, 16:40:03 »
Very interesting posts today.

I am afraid i also find that whole group very confusing. I grew M. rudis from the seed exchange a few years ago and it was all had spotted leaves. Now they have been seeding around in the same area and the majority come up with the darker spotted leaves and a number come up with non spotted. It will not help that i also have the old M. horridula of Hort seeding about. so who knows what is in the mix. (i posted a picture of M rudis seedlings today on our new Facebook site.

Like you i would call the spotted leaved plants M rudis and the non spotted either prattii or racemosa. I cannot tell the difference easily.

I think Ian's question of do they do the same in the wild is interesting and hopefully ariseama can answer/confirm if the spotted and non spotted are found in the same areas.

Looking at the seed capsules on Blue Stu's post they seem to fit M. zongdianensis.

Lets see if we can resolve some of this.

Yrs

matt
Matt Heasman

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 01 May, 2020, 20:51:55 »
Further to Matt's post I give any seed that comes into my hands a number relating to the origin & the year, eg CA1706 is WO-7160  from Chinese Alpines in 2017, the seeds from which I collected last year & labelled SM1904 which I've been pricking out today so I can trace the provenance back without the confusion of names.

I didn't knowingly have any zongdianensis in 2017.

I was up at the allotment this afternoon & looked at the "prattii" - see post #22 - with my limited experience I couldn't see any differences.
I'll have to go back & find the spotty one.

« Last Edit: 01 May, 2020, 21:06:16 by Blue Stu »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #63 on: 01 May, 2020, 22:06:34 »
Here is my M Rudis seedlings for this year.<br /><br /><br /><br />
Matt Heasman

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 02 May, 2020, 07:06:50 »
Like you i would call the spotted leaved plants M rudis and the non spotted either prattii or racemosa. I cannot tell the difference easily.

I think Ian's question of do they do the same in the wild is interesting and hopefully ariseama can answer/confirm if the spotted and non spotted are found in the same areas.

Looking at the seed capsules on Blue Stu's post they seem to fit M. zongdianensis.

Spotted and unspotted plants do grow together, and where you find the spots is rather variable too... Plants may lack spots on foliage, or have faint spots, but show dark spots on flower buds. See above for the two examples from Hongshan, presumably both belonging to one species, one strongly spotted and one with hardly any spots.

M. zhongdianensis from Napa Hai (the type location) grows where it's sunny, dry and rather hot; very different from the cool, moist limestone scree where 7160 was collected. M. zhongdianensis has no spotting whatsoever, nothing on foliage and nothing on flower buds.

It's interesting to see even less spotting on 7160 in cultivation than in the wild, it might be a unique characteristic for some species, but where's the line between faintly and non-spotted?

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02 May, 2020, 08:02:58 »
These are my prattii in 2018, grown from MG seed 16/44. The seed from these produced the plants in post 22.
« Last Edit: 02 May, 2020, 08:19:26 by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 02 May, 2020, 08:20:56 »
The same plants as in image 362

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02 May, 2020, 09:08:35 »
Here's M. zhongdianensis, at what I assume is the type location (Napa Hai). Note the sturdy stem, the equally sturdy orange thorns, and the complete lack of any spotting on both leaves and buds:

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 06 May, 2020, 21:19:39 »
The sunshine is working its magic with the first of the 'Blues' flowering today - Meconopsis 'Lingholm'

The Meconopsis betonicifolia hybrid MGS#3 will probably open tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 11 May, 2020, 18:46:55 by IanScott »

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 07 May, 2020, 12:06:46 »
Meconopsis sulphurea sulphurea from Meconopsis Group seed. Thank you to whoever donated it.

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 07 May, 2020, 12:10:27 »
Podophyllum emodi (Sinopodophyllum hexandrum). (Probably also from group seed but I have forgotten to bring my records with me.)

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 07 May, 2020, 23:41:08 »
Really healthy seedlings Nick.  Looks as though you will get a good show.  Ian S My MGS#3  looks as though it will flower tomorrow too.  No surprise there mind you as its still the one that I got from you, picked up at SRGC at Fairmileheaed for Gardening Scotland.  I have had quite a few new plants from it that I have been able to give away( with instructions  of course).

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 08 May, 2020, 12:36:09 »
Thank you Poppy Girl. I have had some helpful advice from members of this group.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 09 May, 2020, 16:10:22 »
Two images of Meconopsis 'Mildred' posted on behalf of Eileen Goodall.

There was rather too much turquoise but it is a lovely light blue colour and is my favourite,

Eileen
« Last Edit: 09 May, 2020, 16:43:57 by IanScott »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 11 May, 2020, 17:29:02 »
Looking great Eileen.  Yours are way ahead of mine. We had minus 2 last night so slows everything down and dont think its gone above 6 this afternoon.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 11 May, 2020, 18:56:40 »
My  plants of Meconopsis yaoshanensis which over-wintered in a outside trough have come through in the last few days.

They are much later than Meconopsis balangensis , in another trough, which has been through for nearly a month.

I'll add further images beside this one, and not as a new post, as the season progresses

« Last Edit: 04 June, 2020, 09:05:08 by IanScott »

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 18 May, 2020, 17:31:20 »
Well, it's tea-bag time again!

Last year I tried to cross pollen from Meconopsis integrifolia onto Meconopsis 'Lingholm'.  There was no viable seed set but, if you remember, it was extremely hot and a lot of plants which usually are reliable behaved the same way.  So this is just a double check.

Frankly, when you consider the enormous difference in chromosome numbers, I would not have expected them to cross.  However, one thing that you learn about this genus is that 'impossible' things sometimes happen.  Also we have to consider Meconopsis 'Marit' which is purported to be a cross between  Meconopsis 'Lingholm' and Meconopsis x sarsonsii.

Time will tell.

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:24:14 »
However, one thing that you learn about this genus is that 'impossible' things sometimes happen.  Also we have to consider Meconopsis 'Marit' which is purported to be a cross between  Meconopsis 'Lingholm' and Meconopsis x sarsonsii.

I always wondered about 'Marit', I had a near identical plant turn up in in the garden of my former home in Norway, some 9 or 10 (!) years after any biennial yellows had been around. Then again, impossible things indeed do happen! I tried recreating x cookei once, a single runt of a punicea plant produced 2-3 full seed pods, while my other 10 or so attempts stayed basically empty. I figured the runt had self-fertilized and sold the resulting plants as punicea, but once they flowered it turned out to be some 100+ rather variable x cookei.

« Last Edit: 19 May, 2020, 10:28:17 by arisaema »

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:28:12 »
I should add that the plants growing in that border were baileyi 'Alba' and 'Hensol Violet', as well as 'Lingholm'... That border is long gone anyway, I gave away the plant but it was moved mid summer so I don't know if it survived.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 19 May, 2020, 19:48:29 »
Meconopsis 'Marit'

I quote from 'Meconopsis for Gardeners' -

<quote> 'Marit' originates from the Tromsø region of northern Norway. It was created in the garden of Marit Spafford after whom it is named, but its introduction to British gardens in 1998 was at the hands of  Finn Haugli. <end-quote>

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 20 May, 2020, 02:02:55 »
Meconopsis 'Marit'

I grew and flowered it once, and sadly managed to kill it, it didn't seem to like the summer in the south... The three cultivars growing in that abandoned border were bailey 'Alba', 'Hensol Violet' and 'Lingholm; so I'm tempted to question 'Marit's presumed parentage, I think that too showed up as a volunteer seedling.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:41:22 »
Not a Meconopsis, but thought that Arisaema would be encouraged to see his Primula florida (7215) in flower.

There are over a dozen plants in the stock-bed, so seed is hopeful.

The first bloom open on Meconopsis prattii (?) 7160 (see 1st May entry) and entry up-dated.
« Last Edit: 20 May, 2020, 20:40:06 by IanScott »

arisaema

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:58:02 »
Not a Meconopsis, but thought that Arisaema would be encouraged to see his Primula florida (7215) in flower.

That's lovely! Did you get any difference in flower colour? You usually come across a small number of plants with deeper pink flowers in the field, but I'm not sure if it's an actual genetic difference or just ones that flowered slightly later and didn't yet fade in the intense sun.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:48:51 »
Two years ago I was delighted to watch my Meconopsis simplicifolia ssp grandiflora (from original Cuona seed) start to flower.

As there was just one plant, no seed was set.  The seed capsule developed but the seed was abortive.

In 2019 the plant did not re-appear and I think that Margaret T. had suggested that this sub-species might be monocarpic. A great disappointment to lose the original plant, while O.V. in Norway had managed to keep it going and provided seed for the seed exchange.

So it was a great surprise to realise that, having been AWOL for a whole year, the plant has suddenly re-emerged a bit further over!

P.S. Arisaema - all flowers of Primula florida are the same colour at present, but more to come.  Will keep you informed.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 24 May, 2020, 20:35:55 »
Although the gale force winds of the last two days have decapitated a fair number of my Meconopsis baileyi, despite being secured to canes early on, the plants of Meconopsis staintonii have much thicker stems and all have survived. In fact, the first flowers appeared this morning and are a glorious deep red.

I think that this is a wonderful plant to have in the garden.  The golden hairs on the leaves and stems make the rosettes glow with warmth, even in winter when most other plants are hiding beneath the surface too scared to venture out.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 01 June, 2020, 17:52:26 »
Two summers ago I attempted to re-make the Meconopsis x sarsonsii cross.

I have only one plant of Meconopsis baileyi in the garden and I waited until a flower bud was just about to open, removed the sepals, petals and stamens/anthers before covering it with a teabag which was folded round the flower stem and tied on with a small piece of garden wire.  This was left for 3 days before pollen from Meconopsis integrifolia was applied to the stigma which was then re-covered.  Pollen was applied on 3 consecutive days. The cover remained on until the seed capsule had developed many weeks later.

Seed was sown in the Spring of 2019 and plants were growing in the garden by the same autumn.  In all, there were about two dozen plants and the first one has bloomed with another half a dozen buds splitting to show their colour.  All are blue, so I am perplexed, to say the least!

I find it hard to think that I was so careless that I 'selfed' my single plant of Meconopsis baileyi.
Even if I had been careless I would have thought that I should have got a mixture of blues and creams. So what next?

Well firstly I will repeat the process using the original parents to see if I get the same or a different result in 2022.

Secondly I need to find out if these plants are fertile or sterile.  For Meconopsis baileyi n = odd number, so Meconopsis x sarsonsii should be a sterile hybrid.

Thirdly, try to pollinate some of these plants using Meconopsis integrifolia.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

P.S.  Meconopsis yaoshanensis (11th May) has been up-dated with new images.
« Last Edit: 04 June, 2020, 08:48:48 by IanScott »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk