Author Topic: Meconopsis atrovinosa  (Read 137 times)

IanScott

• View Profile
Meconopsis atrovinosa
« on: 21 January, 2020, 11:41:33 »
Harvard Papers in Botany has recently published a paper entitled 'REVISION OF MECONOPSIS CASTANEA (PAPAVERACEAE) AND ITS ALLIES' by Toshio Yoshida and Hang Sun, in which a new species - Meconopsis atrovinosa - is described.  Here is the link:

https://huh.harvard.edu/files/herbaria/files/24_2_359_yoshida_sun_1.pdf

In the same journal a second paper entitled 'REVISION OF MECONOPSIS SECTION FORRESTIANAE (PAPAVERACEAE)' by Toshio Yoshida and Hang Sun, mentions three new species - Meconopsis aprica, Meconopsis purpurea and Meconopsis wengdaensis.  Here is the link:

https://huh.harvard.edu/files/herbaria/files/24_2_379_yoshida_sun_2.pdf

Comments would be appreciated.

arisaema

• View Profile
Re: Meconopsis atrovinosa
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2020, 01:51:41 »
At least they synonymized M. xiangchengensis under M. lancifolia, although splitting the species into several subspecies is just pointless, of course there will be minor differences with disjunct distributions. Honestly, after all this splitting and every tall mountain in China seemingly being gifted with one or more endemic Meconopsis I'm hoping for a "lumper" to take an interest in the genus. M. purpurea will likely already be in cultivation, both the Czechs and we would have collected it. What I'm most curious about is if anyone will be able to key out all these new species without knowing the exact mountains they were collected?

I see them mentioning hybrids in both papers, and when we're speaking of biennial poppies who's hybrids likely are fertile... Isn't it better to combine them all into one variable species with a wider distribution?

"On the basis of our collaborative studies of the specimens,
photographs, literature, and geography of Meconopsis
castanea sensu lato, we have determined that T. Yoshida
K20 is a hybrid between M. castanea and M. georgei and
that many of the specimens collected by Forrest and Rock
on Fuchuan Shan and on Biluo Xueshan west of Weixi are
also hybrids between the two species, although it is difficult
to distinguish hybrids from M. castanea in old specimens."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk