Author Topic: Branklyn and Inverewe  (Read 680 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Branklyn and Inverewe
« on: 18 June, 2018, 21:51:46 »
What a joy to visit Branklyn recently (and not for all the friendships w renewed). The Blue Meconopsis were stunning but it was great to see lots of Incarvilleas and Roscoeas too. I was particularly struck by the plant labelled as Meconopsis grandis 'Inverewe' (is is grandis ?) among others so it was a real disappointment to visit Inverewe a few days later. Not a single blue mec to be seen (golden mealy bug victims we were told). But also the whole herbaceous planting was so diminished compared with what I can ever remember over the past thirty years. Hugely disappointing.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Branklyn and Inverewe
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2018, 10:40:06 »
Yes Peter, Branklyn has been wonderful this year. If you did not see it look for episode 9 Beechgrove garden on BBC I player. Excellent feature with Jim Jermyn, Branklyn and Meconopsis. I did not notice M.grandis 'Inverewe' when I was there so don't know if it is a 'Grandis'. Pat was there the week before me so may have noticed it. Evelyn's notes say.......   IBG. Received from John Anderson at Inverewe in 2003 to clarify its identity. Had been grown there as M. betonicifolia for many years, undisturbed.  Sterile and taken to be a baileyi hybrid. May set a very few viable seeds.
The situation at Inverewe is so sad, has been known for quite a few years. I think they were the first to identify it. Imported New Zealand Tree ferns?

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2018, 23:17:59 »
That's a shame about Inverewe, I sold some Huntfield plants to them a long time ago and saw them flowering well there a few years after that. I've got the photographs at least to prove that they were there albeit fleetingly!

I think if I remember things correctly that in its early days Inverewe did receive quite large quantities of soil which had been used as ballast from ships travelling from places like New Zealand before people understood the dangers of importing foreign pests in soil. So there have probably been multiple imports of unwanted pests introduced into the gardens over the years.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2018, 07:49:26 »
The local mythology is that the imported soil came as ballast from Ireland but no-one has been able to find any written confirmation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk