Author Topic: meconopsis integrifolia  (Read 1265 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
meconopsis integrifolia
« on: June 25, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »
Somehow or other I seem to have grown two very different forms of integrifolia which, as far as my limited taxonomic skills allow, I have tentatively assumed to be ssp. soulei and ssp. integrifolia. Soulei was the earlier in flower but as both had been in pots all winter and soulei was put into the garden later, this may not be of any significance.

Both have big fat seedpods but the leaves ov what I am assuming to be ssp. integrifolia are dying back rapidly and the plant is clearly monocarpic, The earlier flowering plant, which was very hairy and had a silvery appearance, so far has retained its leaves.

Does any of this make any sense to others who have grown M. integrifolia ?

Seed of both plants must have come from Bjornar Olsen when he was trading as Trillium.no.

IanScott

• View Profile
Re: meconopsis integrifolia
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
Photograph the seed capsules and we can do a comparison.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »
I think that was the basis of my identification, Ian. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow. (Dark here now.)

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »
This is the seed capsule of Meconopsis integrifolia ssp souliei. How does it compare with your seed heads?

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
I think I need to see a view from the top. I've been comparing with the images and drawings in pp179-181 in Kit Grey-Wilson's mongraph.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Some have 5 valves and some have 6 valves.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
I got a packet of W/O-7158 in january 2018 & have had a remarkable germination, so far I've potted up 32 & have another 24 or so in a seed tray.
Reading through these posts I wonder what I've got. They were labelled ssp. souliei but they appear to have been misidentified  by Arisema & are ssp. integrifolia. I'll attach a scan of one of the leaves, comparing it to the drawings on page 179 it looks more like C than A or B to me. The leaf length is about 70mm.
Can I have a second opinion please?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:37:33 AM by Blue Stu »

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
Interesting. Congratulations on your phenomenal germination rate (though I also have been generally impressed with the high proportion of viable meconopsis seed when I previously purchased from trillium.no).

These leaves are much broader than either of my two plants. My ssp integrifolia has almost shrivelled to nothing but I remember the leaves to be similar in shape and size to ssp soulei but greener and less hairy.

Glad I checked as the ssp integrifolia seed heads were ready for harvesting !

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
Blue Stu , take a look at the other Meconopsis inegrifolia thread for a nice picture of what the plant I believe to bessp integrifolia looked like.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »
I've looked around the site at various integrifolia postings & I'm none the wiser, a post from Ian Scott of a souliei leaf looks like mine. I'll just have to keep a record of them, the good news is I've now got 59 potted up, the challenge is to keep them alive over winter.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
Wow.

Have you got room for them all ?

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched but if I can get 56 to the planting out stage in september, 7 rows of 8 at 18inch spacing would take up 13ft of one of the 4 x 30ft beds on my allotment where the early potatoes are now so they would fit in nicely.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »
Are you allowed to grow flowers on your allotment. We aren't supposed to (but do).

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »
I've never heard it was forbidden, one or two do grow flowers, but when I try to give stuff away I'm asked "Can you eat it?" and when I say "No not really", they decline it.
After all what is a flower? -Cauliflower? Broccolli? Any fruiting plant (tomato) has to have a flower first! Do you have to lift your potatoes before they flower?
What about edible flowers which are quite trendy?

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
We are intended to grow edible produce but nothing  'permanent'. So the plum trees whic we inherited and the rsberry canes and the globe artichokes are all in breach of the letting terms. We are allowed up to 25% of 'other' = grass or flowers. Fortunately the council can't afford to check.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »
Yes its rules for the sake of rules, the trouble with us anarchists is we can never get round to organise rules.
Long live Wolfie Smith.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 08:51:49 AM »
The W/O-7158 are starting to flower.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 11:16:35 PM »
Just beautiful!  Well done!

We were up at Branklyn and Jim Jermyn has both M. integrifolia ssp integrifolia and M. sulphurea out in bloom, plus lots of the 'big blues' just about to open.  Must get back in two weeks time to see them in full glory.  We are 3-4 weeks behind and the flower buds are still tucked up tightly in amongst the emerging leaves.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 12:10:53 PM »
Interesting that Branklyn is so far ahead.  I grew M.gakyidiana for the first time last year and discovered yesterday that the first plant in Sheffield Botanic Gardens has its first flower open. I can't remember ever having a blue mec in flower in April before.  Is gakyidiana unusually early ?  M. aculeata is also in flower (the first time I have left plants in the ground over winter).

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 11:20:29 PM »
Branklyn is on a slight slope and south facing.  Even so, Jim said that they were much earlier than in previous years.  We had a nice warm spell and his plants obviously loved it.

I have Meconopsis aculeata in a raised bed of ordinary soil in the open garden over winter and don't even bother to put a cloche over it now.  It does fine so long as the ground isn't water-logged and freezes deep down. I also leave some of the seed capsules on the plants over winter and I find that I have them self-seeding nicely, although I also sow a bit of the seed in the greenhouse as insurance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk