Author Topic: Mec dhwojii, who grows it  (Read 5965 times)

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
Mec dhwojii, who grows it
« on: November 30, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
just wondering if anyone is still growing Mec. dhwojii.

I used to, but have had no success recently.
Matt Heasman

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
Re: Mec dhwojii, who grows it
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:42:09 PM »
I did have two germinate from the 2014 seeds, but they dies before flowering
Matt Heasman

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »
what about the other awkward to grow species, who grows what? The website also needs some pictures for some of the species to complete the Species Portrait section, can you help?
Matt Heasman

true blue

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »
Sorry you missed the last meeting Matt. It was an excellent 50/50 plant sale. Alice had Meconopsis Dhwojii for sale in pots. Of course they went immediately but I did manage to secure some for myself. They germinate easily BUT  die just as quick, too hot, too cold, inside, outside, die back, who knows? I have tried all ways but only once managed to get them in to flower.

AliceB

• View Profile
Re: Mec dhwojii, who grows it - I do
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »
I still have about 16 dhwojii plants in the cold frame all looking good. With all these comments I am getting worried!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:02:47 PM by AliceB »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:10:24 PM »
Well done Alice, I grew it years ago and used to flower it OK, but lost it for years and am now struggling to get it going again. Got to keep on trying though.

well done getting logged in and Thanks

Matt
Matt Heasman

true blue

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:36:34 PM »
I used to grow it as well, always had good germination of my own seed. Over the years though with seed also from the exchange always managed to get it through the first winter and then it dies off the following Spring.

Blues Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
I try to grow it! I have a few seedlings still alive and looking OK, but like others, I lose young plants. I studied the species in the wild this year, and have included quite a bit of detail in "Two Nepali Monocarps" now available on the website. My best guess right now is that, for me, the problem is excess humidity (especially here in NW England) - and maybe also pathogens (and our moist climate is encouraging more of these) attacking the plants through any weakness. So I am avoiding grit around the neck, as I think this can cause damage, and I am also keeping a close eye out for nibbling insects. Fingers crossed!

Blues Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
Thought I'd add a couple of habitat shots - dhwojii seems to grow almost exclusively under the protection of large boulders, so no overhead watering!

Blues Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »
and again

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
excellent information and pictures. I will be trying growing them under some stones from now on. I am trying M. quintuplinervia this way at present and seem to getting some luck
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:17:17 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »
Matt Heasman

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
Hearing all these comments on picky dhwojii growing under boulders and getting worried about my wee plants. BTW we need a spell checker to include dhwojii etc etc.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
No overhead watering! never thought of that one. Will try that and keep the lid closed over them a bit in the cold frame.
The M.quintuplinervia in my garden do not grow at all in the damper part of the border however slighter further up the slope in a drier area they are very healthy. They still had some flowers on them Mid November.
Spell check, yes please!!!

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »
That was a very interesting talk. I am concerned this year that the weather is too warm for young plants overwintering in the cold frame. I don't water them but there is too much condensation inside.

Lars S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »
I germinated seeds easy enough last spring but unfortunately we had lots of slugs this summer so many of the seedlings got chewed down. Some still had leaves though when the snow came and will hopefully grow on next spring

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 09:25:47 AM »
Hi Lars

I think if it had some sort of leaf on it before it shut down for winter they should grow away again next spring. I think my issues have been my local climate is too wet. Looking at the pictures from the wild, it looks like the crown of the plant needs shelter from direct rain. I will be trying the overhead boulders next time...Matt
Matt Heasman

Lars S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »
Thanks Matt, I hope you are right ! They seem to be prone to rot if they get wet during winter

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »
We grew it for many years at Kerrachar and never had any problems. Now back in Sheffield it has been more tricky. Germination has been poor and about five years ago I only raised  a couple of plants which were eventually planted out on the allotment where leaves were as I remembered but flowers disappointing and seed non-existent. A plant raised in 2014 was kept in a pot and flowered well but seemed surprisingly large and robust. Seed was set but only two seedlings raised (and lost) in 2016. Still have seed so will try again in 2017.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »
Do you think  difference in climate between Kerrachar and Sheffield makes a difference? I found the first year I had lots of lovely little healthy plants which were kept in pots in the cold frame over winter. They died down in to a little hard dark lump in the soil over the winter but they never seemed to come back to life the following spring. How did you get them through the first winter in Kerrachar?

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »
The dhwojji I got from the seed distribution this year has germinated, I sowed it on the 12th December & it must have emerged on the 24th. With christmas I only checked it this morning so its a bit drawn so I hope it doesn't damp off. It was on a heated seed tray at 17deg in my shed & is now on a south facing windowsill in our conservatory which is heated to 16deg at night & 18deg during the day. The sun hardly clears the trees next door at high noon so it shouldn't scorch. I have a plastic cover for it but would it be better left uncovered.

The prattii has also germinated & some horridula (of hort?) I saved from my own plants in 2015.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
It's quite a long time ago now but we always sow all meconopsis early and then follow Kames Cobb's advice of moving plants on regularly to develop them as quickly as possible. My memory is that we were ready to plant onto the peat terrace by the autumn and overwintered the plants there. If they were still in pots they would have been overwintered outside and planted onto the terraces in Spring. Meconopsis (and Primula) were the genera that did better not brought into the polytunnel.

I have tried to analyse the differences between growing at Kerrachar and in Sheffield. Climate is certainly a factor although recent mild winters mean that the differences are slight. Th e bigger difference is probably soil - clay in Sheffield but peat in most of the garden at Kerrachar (though not in the rose beds where M. x cookei and M. quintuplinervia thrived at Kerrachar - there the soil was alluvial silty clay).

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
I always thought that meconopsis seed that wasn't sown fresh needed a chilling period to lift the dormancy, recent reading suggests that this isn't always the case.

Also I've read they are more lime-tolerant than was the past accepeted wisdom.

Polytunnels are also quite humid, I get alot of botrytis & moss in mine, even just trying to overwinter veg.

I am at about 270m in north-west durham so autumn comes early & wet, the evergreen type seem to cope alright as do the baileyis but I am abit concerned about some of the deciduous ones I got from the group earlier this year, they really seem to have hidden away.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
I would agree that enclosed humid spaces are bad news for meconopsis. We always overwinter our plants which are being raised for sale in the following season outdoors, both at Kerrachar and here in Sheffield and this works beautifully for Lingholm, baileyi etc. On the other hand, monocarpic rosette-forming species seem to be happier in the ground.

Our one dramatic failure with growing the big blue poppiies was at Kerrachar the year when we put up a shade tunnel (netting only) which we thought would be ideal for meconopsis and primulas. Almost all our big blue poppies, already large ribust plants,  collapsed in July through some sort of fungal infection. We did lose a proportion over winter at first when we brought them into our very large airy polytunnel to protect them from the prodigious North-west Highland winter rain which was why we reverted to keeping them in a sheltered spot out of doors.

So treat them rough seems to be the message, at least for big blue poppies. I should add that this year we are experimenting with an open-sided polythene covered frame for some of the species that we have lost in the past. I will report back on whether this has helped in the Spring.

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
Mec dhwojii now in flower from last year's seed - surprising - I had planned it for next year to flower but there are other plants without buds. Photos show first flower plus a clutch of buds to come.

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »
Second photo

AliceB

• View Profile
M. dhwojii
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Latest photos of M. dhwojii – nodding heads and seed capsules forming. Very hairy and with leaves dotted. The rain has made the petals translucent. On the Gardening Scotland stand there were two dhwojii from wild collected seed – leaves only so far – they looked somewhat different.

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
Second photo.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 12:08:55 AM »
Well done Alice, they look excellent. I will need to source some seed and try again
Matt Heasman