Author Topic: Meconopsis in the beer fridge  (Read 161 times)

ausloc

• View Profile
Meconopsis in the beer fridge
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:27:52 AM »
G'day from newbie

Love blue poppies, but I live in Perth WA (mid-West coast of Aus) where the summer temp is often in the mid 40’s (that’s real degrees!) and the vegetation goes either brown or black if it has burned.  Alpine plants not happy by definition.

Had thought of triggering MB growth by converting beer fridge to the correct temperature and fitting it out with LED lights like those used by the growers of illicit plants.  Has anyone tried this? (the poppies I mean).

If so, any info re temp/light intensity welcomed.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
Re: Meconopsis in the beer fridge
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »
Never tried it. Not too sure how it would work out for you. If you decide to try it you can let us know. What are your winter temps like?
Matt Heasman

ausloc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
Re temps in winter, we have "Mediterranean climate", so bit chilly but frosts unknown.

Got 2 little bottles of Chinese MB seeds from AliExpress (cost ~ nothing, postage free...) and have the urge to try something, but don't know where to start.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:37:23 PM »
Possibly will get good germination results in a fridge its the growing on might prove a bit more difficult.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
In 2016 I was asked to grow some rock roses (Helianthemum mummularium) for the local wildlife trust for their limestone meadows. I put some  in shed & some in fridge. They were sown on 18th march both of them had germinated by  28th march. The ones in the fridge actually germinated in the fridge. They need light to germinate but I made sure I got tinnies out regularly so the light would come on.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
Maybe you could adapt the technique we saw used in Saudi Arabia to grow tomatoes and roses. The polytunnels were cooled by water dripping over a fine mesh with a fan blowing over it. Evaporation gives both cooling and high humidity and if your polytunnel is a shade tunnel it might just work. You could miniaturise this approach I guess ?