Author Topic: Cold and Germination  (Read 685 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Cold and Germination
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:37:50 am »
i find it interesting that two seeds collected in 2015 which failed to germinate last year have germinated successfully this year. Both times sowing was in mid-November. I have also had good germinations this year of other species sown at the same time. This year we have had some colder nights than in any year since I started to experiment with November sowings. My overall experience is that I succeed best when I avoid heat and i am wondering if there is a case for a spell in the fridge to break dormancy.  Does anyone use this approach ? Scottish members may get colder winters than we have had recently in Sheffield so may not find it necessary.

grahamfx

• View Profile
Re: Cold and Germination
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:54:09 am »
Hi Peter, I'm no expert I've only just started growing meconopsis over the last couple of years, this winter I decided to experiment sowing seeds at different times and in different locations, best germination has been achieved by keeping the seeds in the fridge for a couple of weeks, they were then sown and placed on the kitchen windowsill at approx 20 degrees, as soon as they germinated they were moved to the conservatory where it's about 10 degrees, they have all germinated really quickly, though they do seem a bit leggy, time will tell if they survive.

Another batch of the same seeds were sown at the same time but just kept in the conservatory, these are just starting to germinate now.

Finally some more of the same seeds were sown in an unheated greenhouse, again they are just starting to germinate.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes I think they do need a period of cold and I think a couple of weeks in the fridge before sowing probably helps, I'm trying to keep all my seedlings frost free, but cool.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:21:32 pm »
I think that's the secret, trying to keep them frost free so they don't bolt. Its a balancing act. Watch you don't get a sunny day that heats the conservatory up too much.
Matt Heasman

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:20:20 pm »
Absolutely agree with the desirability of letting the seedlings develop slowly although our germinated seedlings are now in the frost-free but otherwise unheated conservatory and moving along nicely.  Far too many germinations of one (nominally M. staintonii 'lemon-yellow') so pricking out will be tricky and needs tackling soon. They will then be moved to the big greenhouse in the Botanic Gardens (again unheated and now quite shaded at this time of year.

Utruywran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 06:07:54 am »
The story of Cold and Germination is very good.