Author Topic: CCX1519  (Read 1567 times)

Blue Stu

• View Profile
CCX1519
« on: January 18, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
This is a plant I got from Chris Chadwell's distribution in 2015 which was described as M. sp. possibly staintonii but Margaret Thorne has cast doubt on its identity so I'm posting some photos to help clarify it.
It was sown in January 2016, this photo was taken May 2017. It is next to the lettuce at the back with paniculata from the groups distribution in 2015 in the front.
Piggy in the middle is Lingholm from the group's 2015 distribution.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:00:53 PM by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
Re: CCX1519
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
Next photo is two plants in November 2017. Quite a bit of difference between them
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:01:14 PM by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
First solo appearance

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »
Second solo appearance.

Margaret Thorne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »
Interesting! Some of the plants look more like Meconopsis staintonii than the first one you showed. I still don’t think they are quite right, but maybe the cultural conditions of a fertile allotment cause sturdier leaves than in the wild, they certainly look very healthy. It will be interesting to see pictures of the flowers. Pity we don’t know where the seed was collected. Many thanks for posting them

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »
This was how they looked on 24th january, obviously suffering with the wet weather

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »
And today, pushing its way out of frozen snow

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
Where are you gardening ?  Like Margaret I am impressed at how well your plants look in an open situation alongside the lettuce !  Are you somewhere with cool summers ?

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »
I'm at Consett, North-West Durham which is notorious for its cold weather. I've just checked the elevation of my allotment, its 274m, I live about two mile downhill which is at 185m. I didn't realise there was such a difference (in metres) but its certainly noticeable weatherwise.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »
This is one of the CCX1519 plants. I must have potted up two together and as its turned out there is a marked difference between them. The blueyer one is more like the rest, the brighter green looks a much more attractive plant.
These aren't the same two I posted in january.
They've all had a hard time of it this winter, 1 of the 9 is a definite gonner & 2 more don't look so happy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:07:30 PM by Blue Stu »

Margaret Thorne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »
These both look like M. paniculata.
All our monocarpic Meconopsis plants have suffered terribly this winter, as have some of the perennial ones too. There is even more snow forecast for next week, so we are going to cover some of the surviving rosettes.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
I had six down the driveway Margaret, five now just brown mush, only one survived! So disappointed as I was expecting quite a display as they were mature plants. Two are still under a snow drift in the back of the garden in the shade so don't know how they have got on.  I have been monitoring our forecast so yes Margaret will be covering the remaining ones. I have a few young ones from last years seed in the cold frame so they have survived and are looking well. These frosts have a lot to answer for high up these hills >:(

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »
For once there may be some advantages in growing in Sheffield. Our monocarpic rosette formers have not generally overwintered well in pots in the past, but almost all the 'M. staintonii' (lemon-yellow) have overwintered perfectly in our open frames and those planted earlier in the Botanic Gardens as well as the one in our tiny back garden at home also look fine. I should add that the survival rate of the various Linghilms and various forms of M. baileyi seems very good too so we should have plants available for our special meconopsis sale in June.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »
The snow we had yesterday, about 2 inches & very wet, has all cleared at home (185m) but is still covering everything around the allotment at 274m.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
Checked the mecs at the allotment this morning. Only 5 of the original 9 CCX1519 left, the rest all rotted.

(The plants behind are 12 MG1644 Pratii which I didn't hold out much hope for but have all survived. I had dug in some sharp gravel before planting & they are raised above the surrounding path.)

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
The remaining CCX1519 don't look as if they are going to flower this year, the paniculata next door have big fat flower buds in the centre.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:37 PM »
There are now only 3 surviving due to the recent dry weather but they are going to flower after all, much later than the adjacent paniculata from the MG distribution & quite different. The paniculata are almost finished flowering & heve seed pods, I will disbud them when the 1519 show any colour.
It'll be very interesting.......
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:48:03 AM by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »
The first one has started flowering today. Yellow petals with a purple stigma. The unopened flower buds have a russet colouration to them. My interpretation from the CGW book is that it is paniculata subs. paniculata.
When more flowers open I'll pick one to get a less wobbly photo. All the neighbouring MG paniculata have been deflowered.
The paniculata  I have at home from the Hardy Plant Society look similar to the MG ones but have no reds, if seed from the MG or HPS plants is returned for the MG distribution should these be labelled Hort like the napaulensis?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:00:16 PM by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 09:13:24 PM »
The third one is now flowering. It is taller than the other two & hasn't got the russet colouration.
One of its flowers has a pinkish cast to it.
It was quite breezy today so getting a clear photo was difficult.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:16:24 PM by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 10:35:15 PM »
This one is definitely producing flowers with a pink cast. They are on the south-facing side of the plamt. Given that there may be a tendency for this plant to produce such flowers is the sun enhancing the effect similar to rosier apples?

Margaret Thorne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 01:53:58 PM »
Many thanks for posting the photos now that your plants are in flower. The leaves of the plants which have survived and flowered look like Meconopsis paniculata. The pinkish flowers are likely to be as a result of hybridisation between M. paniculata and a red flowered species, either M. staintonii or M. wallichii var fusco-purpurea (depending where the seed was collected, if it is indeed of wild origin).
If these plants set seed and you donate it to the exchange, the proper name of the parent plant is now Meconopsis x complexa, in recognition of the fact it is of hybrid origin. Obviously the parentage is not entirely clear but is very likely to involve M. paniculata and highly unlikely to have involved true M. napaulensis. When donating seed to the exchange it is always a good idea to include all the information you know about it, but also to be selective with the seed and not to send anything which might be judged as not worth growing!
If you donate seed of M. paniculata, it would be wise to do so only from plants which you are reasonably confident could not have been pollinated by M. x complexa (or any other of the evergreen monocarpic group species or hybrids).
This year I have flowered robustly healthy 'M. paniculata' plants which have produced virtually no fertile seed. These were grown from seed of cultivated origin which I now suspect might have been hybridised. In a separate part of the garden, M. paniculata plants grown from wild collected seed have produced seed as normal. We have lost so many species from cultivation through hybridisation that it is worth the effort to conserve those we still have.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
Just to summarise, the seed was from Chris Chadwell's distribution from his expedition in 2015 and as such I assumed it was wild collected. He didn't allocate any collection numbers that year. I received two packets of meconopsis labelled sp. & ?staintonii which I arbitrarily labelled CCX1518 & CCX1519. Only the CCX1519 germinated of which 9 survived to plant out and 3 to flower.
The centre one had pinkish flowers & little of the ginger bristles on the other two. When they started to flower I removed all the flowers on the paniculata behind them (from the MG distribution in 2015/2016) to prevent cross-pollination. I am not very optimistic about getting any seed from them, the LH one has now blown over.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
I have now tried to collect anything that was in the seed pods which were very small, (only about the size of a pea), it was mainly dust. There appears to be some seeds which seem small & difficult to separate from the dust, whether they are viable remains to be seen.
One plant has regrown, I don't know from what. I'll try to give it some shelter this winter & see what happens next year.