Author Topic: Dodgy dhwojii  (Read 517 times)

Blue Stu

• View Profile
Dodgy dhwojii
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
I have 34 dhwojii from the last distribution in pots, about 10 of them are showing distortion to the central leaves. The affected plants are distributed amongst the batch, they are not all in one place. I have only fed them once with Chempack balanced fertiliser & not use any pesticides, none of the other mecs in the same place are showing the symptoms. 

This photo shows a similar shaped leaf to the distortion.

http://meconopsisworld.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/meconopsis-dhwojii.html

Is it a problem or does the leaf shape in dhwojii change as the plant matures?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:05:07 AM by Blue Stu »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgy dhwojii
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »
I have looked at mine from this years sowing and there is no distortion like yours in any of them.  The image is of last years sowing plant today so does not look as though these leaves have altered over time.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
Your plant looks much more vigorous than mine. The colour is deeper & the purple base to the bristles isn't so pronounced. Maybe I should feed them more.
It looks now as if its a virus
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:13:05 AM by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
I sent off a plant to RHS advice. This is their reply, any comments and/or has anyone else got dhwojii from the same distribution?

;--------------
Thank you for your enquiry to RHS Gardening Advice.

We have examined your Meacanopsis and agree that the especially hairy, crowded growth in the rosette is unusual but we can find no explanation for the change in growth form.

A plant was tested for disease and none was found, nor was there any sign of a pest at work. If these plants are distributed through the trays, it is possible that the growth form is a result of the genetic instructions within the seeds. Environmental or chemical affects on the parent(s) could account for distorted growth from seeds.

I am sorry that we can not be of more help in this instance.

;-------------------