Author Topic: Distorted, ugly leaves in M.paniculata, M.staintonii & M.wallichii.  (Read 579 times)

Nick

• View Profile
Could anybody possibly please suggest a reason for this problem? A lot of Meconopsis leaves seem to curl up or discolour at times without the plant dying but I have seen three plants that gave the impression of being very ill. The new growth seemed to be coming through distorted. Those plants were discarded but I have this morning seen four or five more that look like they might be going the same way. The photo attached to this post is of a M.paniculata "BVH42" that was discarded before it came to look as bad as the other two plants but you can see I think the problem on the young leaves. The following photos are from this morning of M.paniculata and M.wallichii. Thank you.

Nick

• View Profile
Re: Distorted, ugly leaves in M.paniculata, M.staintonii & M.wallichii.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:03:49 PM »
M.paniculata.

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
M.wallichii.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
Are you sure that this isn't leaf burn?  One of your images shows droplets of water on the leaves and if you are getting strong direct sunshine this may be the problem.  Try giving your seedlings a bit of shading from direct sun and see if they improve.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 11:19:53 PM »
First picture shows what happens when you overwater.(experience)  I am not sure if that may  cause the distortion in the new leaves.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »
I have found M. paniculata BVH 42 really tricky. A nice healthy big mature plant which I added to the Meconopsis Glade in Sheffield Botanic Garden has collapsed in much the way shown in your picture (only more so) and it was the sole survivor. Other  seedlings had collapsed earlier. It seems to be much more temperamental than, say seedlings from Ian Scott's 'M. staintonii albiflora which are thriving in the same glade.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
P.S. Just noticed that Nick has flowered BVH42 successfully (separate post). Good to see what we are missing !

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I will try to improve the conditions taking these into account.