Author Topic: Gardener's World on-line Videos  (Read 799 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Gardener's World on-line Videos
« on: June 01, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
Checking up on availability of the new Meconpsis for Gardeners book, I came across Monty Don's videos on sowing Meconopsis 'Lingholm' seeds and planting the plants he raised. Has anyone else seen them ?  I was shocked by what. to me. were serious inaccuracies. He insisted on sowing Meconopsis seed fresh which may be necessary for some species but certainly not for Lingholm which most of us sow in January/February and get good germination. Properly stored seeds will germinate fine in the second year and well beyond. 

As he apparently didn't go in for early pricking out and potting on his one year old seedlings and the plants he eventually planted after two years looked starved and were much smaller than one would expect - I would expect to have plants the size he was planting by June or July in the year of sowing.

Has anybody given him any advice or feedback ?  Because he is a 'celebrity' I imagine it isn't easy but if no-one else has done so, I will have a try.

ShonaG

• View Profile
Re: Gardener's World on-line Videos
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »
Yes I saw it and it was much as previous times he has mentioned meconopsis. It is bad that he insists that meconopsis are difficult to grow - they are not if under the right conditions and done correctly. He is not known for replying to correspondence or at all.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Re: Gardener's World on-line Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
I have made a complaint on the Gardeners World website and will send a letter as well. Don't expect it to get anywhere near Monty Don but hopefully there is some editorial control somewhere. Meconopsis are easy to grow in NW Sutherland, slightly more tricky in Sheffield !