Author Topic: Meconopsis betonicifolia  (Read 564 times)

IanScott

• View Profile
Meconopsis betonicifolia
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
A couple of members have been asking about the progress with Meconopsis betonicifolia, so here is an update.

Three two-year old plants have recently been put into the open garden and seem to be doing well.  The area is semi-shaded and sheltered from strong wind, with a nearby pool which should help to keep the air bouyant with moisture in summer.  Although the soil is rather heavy it was thoroughly dug last year, and given a generous addition from the compost heap in early autumn.  Hopefully this will encourage strong root growth rather than premature flowering.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:39:36 AM by IanScott »

IanScott

• View Profile
Re: Meconopsis betonicifolia
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
One the three plants has decided to flower despite it being kept well watered.  Hopefully it will not be monocarpic as a result, but at least we can get photographs of flower structure etc.

AliceB

• View Profile
Re: Meconopsis betonicifolia
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:37:19 PM »
I have heard varying thoughts on allowing first year plants to flower if they bud in the first year. This year many more of my first year plants budded than normal but from advice in a RBGE course I have let them flower. Time will tell if they are monocarpic.