Author Topic: Meconopsis baileyi ex Doshog La  (Read 549 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Meconopsis baileyi ex Doshog La
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »
Just inspected the seedlings in the nursery and noticed that the seedlings of the wild collected M. baileyi appear to have grown faster than seedlings from my own plants and to have rounder true leaves. Has anyone else noticed that this strain of M. baileyi is beginning to look a little different from existing forms

JohanA

• View Profile
Re: Meconopsis baileyi ex Doshog La
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »
Hey Peter. You got any tips for a newbie that is starting out?
Truth is Key

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »
I have also had reasonable germination. I am not experienced enough to know whether the leaves are rounder that normal. I have  only grown M. baileyi once before and cannot remember the seedling leaf shape.
Matt Heasman

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »
I'm still not certain about whether there is any real difference with the wild collected plants. all the different baileyi seeds sown this year seem to have done well - unusually for me, better than 'Lingholm'. My personal approach is to'allow nature to take its course'.  Seed is sown earl (usually January) and seeds are kept outside in a little plastic greenhouse against a shady wall so that I can controlwatering but exposed to natural temperature fluctuations. This year all the baileyi seeds germinated in late February.