Author Topic: Meconopsis Group numbering system  (Read 698 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Meconopsis Group numbering system
« on: April 15, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »
Does anyone know how to access the numbering system used by the group ?  Would like to read more about MG100 for a start.

IanScott

• View Profile
Re: Meconopsis Group numbering system
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »
Meconopsis Group Seed for research purposes (MGS#100 series)

Seed from a form of a species (e.g. Meconopsis baileyi ‘Hensol Violet’) should breed true, within the range of natural variation.  However, Big Blue Poppies which, probably, are hybrids (e.g. Jimmy Bayne) tend not to breed true from seed and usually produce inferior plants.  This is why Meconopsis ‘Jimmy Bayne’ is sold as expensive clones which are slow to produce by vegetative divisions.

Until 2016 the Meconopsis Group seed exchange did not include such seed as there was the possibility that, through human error, these inferior seedlings might get passed on, misnamed as the original clone plant, which could undo years of hard work by the Meconopsis Group.  At the same time it was recognised that the seed could be important for selectively breeding a superior plant, which might be of such quality as to merit being a named clone in its own right.

Meconopsis Group Seed (MGS#) for research and hybridising purposes:

MGS#100   Seed from  M. ‘Jimmy Bayne’ (GSG)
MGS#101   Seed from  M. ‘Barney’s Blue’ (GSG?)
MGS#102   Seed from  M. ‘Willie Duncan’ (distinct)
MGS#103   Seed from  M. ‘Great Glen’ (distinct)
MGS#104   Seed from  M. ‘Harry Bush’ (FBG, but does not breed true)
MGS#105   Seed from  M. ‘Mop-head’ (FBG, but does not breed true)
MGS#106   Seed from  M. ‘Evelyn’ (FBG, but does not breed true)

If you are going to distribute such seed, it would be appreciated if you would a) only use F1 seed (i.e. seed from a correctly named clone), and b) use the above codes.  I will be quite willing to allocate further code numbers for clone seed not listed.

Ian Scott (seed exchange manager for the Meconopsis Group)

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »
There is a difference between 'seed' numbering and actual 'plants' that have been allocated a nickname and a number. Some of these plants have not yet been assessed by the Plant Naming and assessment sub committee and not yet ratified by the Meconopsis Group. I think you may be referring to MG 100 which is a plant. The seeds have an MGS# number and the plants have an MG number.
MG100 is nicknamed M "Keillour" and it came from Keillour Castle.  It could possibly be  M x finlayorum (quintupinlinervia x integrifolia)?. This information comes from the final list of plants at The Linns in Sherrifmuir 2016. There are possibly examples of it at Branklyn garden and with  Pat Murphy.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
Many thanks for the information, Poppy Girl. Pat Murphy has given me a piece of this plant to nurture but I had forgotten its detailed antecedents. In general, my query was whether the whole list of Evelyn's is accessible to members of the group. I'll post a picture of the current state of my MG100 separately.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »
I look forward to seeing your image when you get a chance.
The list is with Committee as there are plants listed on it not yet named by the group or have not survived. Dr Geoff Hill is compiling a new list which will then be posted on the web page once complete. Geoff is doing a talk to the Group at the October meeting on the very subject as he is The registrar for ICRA.