Author Topic: Horridula?  (Read 721 times)

Blue Stu

• View Profile
Horridula?
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
This is a mec I have as horridula, I believe I got the original seed from the RHS distribution in 2010 or 2011  - does anybody still have the list to verify this? The plants I have are grown from seed I saved in 2015, are fairly uniform & all have the purple spots at the base of the bristles.
Reading up on horridula it seems most of them in gardens are hybrids.
The nearest to it on the meconopsis world site is pratii which James Cobb says was grown for 50 years in Scotland as horrudula.
Can anyone help?

IanScott

• View Profile
Re: Horridula?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
Hi Stu,

If the plant is Meconopsis horridula it will have yellow or golden stamen when it flowers, and not cream or grey stamen. The true species seems to be difficult to raise from seed and extremely rare in cultivation, although Chris Chadwell probably collected seed in the past.

As you obtained the seed as Meconopsis horridula it probably will be a hybrid or a different species, but still a nice plant and well worth growing.  There are some pale blue and white variants which need to be established as pure strains.

If you are thinking of collecting seed and passing it on, then I would suggest that you label it as Meconopsis horridula (of hort).

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
I'll post a photo when it flowers. It seems to germinate & grow easily so it suggests its not the real McCoy.

I've also got a racemosa? from the same source which is putting up a flower stem at the moment

I've just looked at the back of the label & it was from the group distribution 2015
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:32:12 PM by Blue Stu »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 09:01:34 PM »
This is a M horridula (of Hort), that I have always thought of as prattii or racemosa, it spreads its self around the rockery quite nicely.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:04:31 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »
Matt Heasman

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »
Disaster has struck my "racemosa".

I'd put a piece of ply behind it as a background to take a photo, as I looked at my camera a gust of wind caught the ply & it fell onto the plant completely snapping it off at ground level. I put it in some water but yesterday afternoon the sun sneaked out & by time I found it, it was completely limp. I put it in the shade & it had recovered a bit by this morning. I hope I can still get some seed off it.
It was 45cm tall at its demise.

Meanwhile back at the bench the "horridula" are forming nice clusters of buds so watch this space.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »
My "Horridula" are in full flower now.

The tallest ones are 45cm with a flower 55mm diameter.
The stamens are cream (so they're not true Horridula) same as the "Racemosa", but the plants themselves are different.

Any suggestions as to their lineage?

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
Another pic

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
And another (blurry) one, I'll try & get a sharper focus & also one of the stigma.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:25:22 AM by Blue Stu »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
It looks like very close to M. racemosa for  me,
Matt Heasman

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
Yes Matt the flowers are almost identical. The main differences are in the basal leaves.

The "horridula" have white midribs, minimal white petioles & purple spots at the bases of the hairs.
The "racemosa" has purple petioles & midribs, no spots & longer hairs.

Is the truth that neither are what they claim to be?

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
I suspect that the plant which we have been growing for years as Meconopsis racemosa, is it fact Meconopsis zhongdianensis.  A lot of the Meconopsis racemosa seed can be traced back to the ACE collection near Zhongdian.