Author Topic: Plants and seedling swaps and wishes.  (Read 1516 times)

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Plants and seedling swaps and wishes.
« on: February 25, 2017, 04:26:17 PM »
Following on from the excellent posts from Allan and Eileen in seed stratification we could possibly post on here where members can buy, sell, swap or source excess or unusual plants or seedlings that they are looking for or wish to pass on to other members.

There is the 50/50 plant sale at meetings which proves to be very popular at re distributing plants and provides additional  funds for the group and payment to the member. We would wish that this would continue and indeed increase so that we have more plants for sale from members attending the meetings so if you are coming to a meeting and you have excess at home please bring it in with you for sale or as a donation for the prize draw.

Unfortunately not all members are able to attend meetings but could have plants or seedlings they may wish to pass on in some way to others so they could post what they think on here. It may also be that some members are looking for particular seedlings or plants that they have not had success with or in finding but would like to grow. Members may have been really successful at germination of a particular seed and others may not have been so lucky for some unknown reason so it would be better if these were passed on rather than discarded.

Some of our members also operate nurseries so they too if they had  particular plants that they think would be unusual or of particular interest to our members they could advise this . Its difficult a home to continue growing on the big monocarpic plants from seed but if one or two could be purchased when small enough it could help keep these big ones going if seed is saved.

A get together in the flowering season as Allan has suggested has happened in  previous years would also be a good way for members to gain or exchange material. Possibly some members may wish to set up some sort of regional event that they could post here and if anyone in or outwith the area wished to  attend I am sure all would be welcome. I could certainly do something for South Lanarkshire in June.

Its over to you now members, what do you think? We have 225 members spread over the country and the world so we could do more to ensure succession of these wonderful plants.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
Re: Plants and seedling swaps and wishes.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
Hello thanks for these suggestions and sure it would be good for members to be able to swap if they are not able to attend meetings but it is also important to have plants at meetings maybe  this should be discussed cheers.

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:34:14 PM »
The main point that I was making is that there are no official group meetings any more at the time the Meconopsis are actually flowering, except early or late in the season, so early on most people will only have tiny seedlings just coming through and by the time we get to the last meeting of the year in October, chances are that the surplus seedlings will have already been thrown away and that is too late really to be planting young plants outdoors just before the onset of winter. The optimal time to be distributing Meconopsis seedlings is probably around mid summer, so just after Gardening Scotland would be my suggestion, as that would give the plants a full growing season to become established in their new homes. Potting up some of these seedlings and leaving them to one side for the October meeting wouldn't really work, as from my experience the young seedlings don't respond well to being over crowded or neglected, keep them growing strongly at that stage and there is every chance that many will be of flowering size by the following summer.

I've got no issue with the group getting some of the money from this if people wish to sell seedlings or divisions of a few rare plants, perhaps the way to do this is to use the groups Paypal account for receiving payments and then once the recipients are happy with what they have received, the group could forward the payment to the sender less an agreed commission for group funds.

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »
Or as above, ad hoc regional meetings could be held, assuming people were willing to host such events. It just depends how far flung the membership actually is these days whether this would work or not.

eileen.goodall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:31:23 AM »
I shall be bringing small potfuls of about 10 or 15 seedlings in compost of meconopsis beamishii, sulphurea and aculeata to the meeting this Saturday.  If anyone has seedlings of punicea, superba or integrifolia I should be happy to exchange.
Eileen

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
Good for you Eileen. I think it will be a wee bit early yet for the word to start to get out there for the meeting on Saturday but all things have to start somewhere.
I remember a few years ago Margaret and Henry brought in small tubs of M. Punicea geminated seed and donated them to the Prize draw so it does show members do have excess. It was quite funny as 'winners' bypassed them for a while on the table until someone pointed them out and then of course all were desperate to 'win'.
My M. Punicea is all in one small seed tray and still outdoors at the moment although it is starting to show some very small green shoots. Next year I shall remember to sow in smaller individual pots.
I did not sow any M. Superba or M.Integrifolia.
If I can get the M.Punicea to grow on to little plants I shall keep some for you.