Author Topic: New Cold Frame in Portland, Oregon USA  (Read 1177 times)

Mike_Portland_Oregon

• View Profile
New Cold Frame in Portland, Oregon USA
« on: February 12, 2017, 02:34:09 AM »
Hi All,

My name is Mike A. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

The family (wife, 14 year old daughter and myself), along with my niece, made our first trip to Scotland last year. You have a beautiful country and everyone we met was very friendly and welcoming.

One of our highlights (and there were many) was visiting the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh and seeing the Meconopsis in bloom.  I decided I had to give this a plant a try in my garden in Portland this year. So tomorrow, I will construct my new cold frame (2'x12') and start my planting on Feb. 14th.

I'll keep you posted on my progress here in the Northwest and will pass on my successes and struggles.

Kind regards,
Mike

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Cold Frame in Portland, Oregon USA
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
Hi Mike. Welcome to the Forum. I like the sounds of your lovely long cold frame. Just like the ones in the nurseries behind the scenes at RBGE. Your climate in Oregon will be well suited to growing Meconopsis and I am sure you will have lots of fun. Of course there will be disappointments as well but its just try again. The good fresh seed from the seed exchange will give you a much better chance than from shop bought seed.
I remembered the teenagers were with you at Edinburgh. Perhaps save the little corner in the cold frame for them to try as well now they know what they are aiming for.
It will be really interesting for all our members to hear how you get on. keep posting results as they come and of course post questions as you need to.
Good luck!

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:18 PM »
Hi Mike. I would like to echo the comments above. I hope you find the forum useful and enjoy reading all the info available in the Forum and on the website.

Good luck

matt
Matt Heasman

JantatiParaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 03:41:54 AM »
just try again. The good fresh seed from the seed exchange will give you a much better chance than from shop bought seed.
I remembered the teenagers were with you at Edinburgh. Perhaps save the little corner in the