Author Topic: First seed germinated 2017  (Read 1515 times)

AliceB

• View Profile
First seed germinated 2017
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »
First of this season's seed just germinated - M. horridula from my own seed. Sown end November in an unheated greenhouse. Normally I keep the seed trays outdoors but the greenhouse had space.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Re: First seed germinated 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
Like Alice, I sowed some of our meconopsis seeds in late November, also in an unheated 'wall greenhouse'.  I have already had four germinations some time ago. M. balangensis appeared on 31st December closely followed by the mysterious 'M. baileyi x latifolia' on january 1st, M.integifolia on the 4th M. zhongdianensis on the 5th. Interestingly, all of these seeds came from Trillium.no annd were from the 2015 collection (2014 fro the M. integrifolia). All the seeds from Bjornar have been viable though I haven't necessarily been anle to raise plants to maturity so hope I can do better this time.

ShonaG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »
First seed through today and that is M. Kingsbarns from the Mec group seed exchange. This one is a new one for me. Also an unheated greenhouse sown early winter.

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
Thought I was doing well getting my seeds planted yesterday! Never mind, no space to sow the seeds before now anyway, it took me hours yesterday to sort out a space in my summerhouse and get all the drip trays, seeds trays cleaned and filled up with seed compost, before I sowed the seeds this morning before work, greenhouse needs some serious tidying and resident mice removed before I even think about putting anything in there after last years mass mouse banquet on all of my newly planted Meconopsis seed trays!

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
I have been trying a higher percentage of Perlite for my young seedlings so far they look ok I think this helps air flow around seedlings and holds moisture better will see later if all goes well,

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
I would be interested to know what success rate Alan gets sowing so late. I have only once sown later than mid-February and that was the species for which I am acting as 'guardian' (M. simplicifolia var grandiflora) which I didn't sow until 18th March last year. I got about 25% germination, much to my relief as most of my Mec Group seeds failed last year and I had been very impressed by the trials done by Geoff Hurst (I think) showing much better germination for many species bysowing in October with germination success falling off rapidly by DEcember/January.

ptallbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »
From the seeds from 2016 exchange I have germination in so far :
M. Fertile Blue Group (white)

M. staintonii alba

M. aculeata

M. Fertile Blue Group (purple)

M. ‘Kingsbarns’

M. henrici (Sichuan)*

M. dhwojii

M. baileyi (pale blue)

M. baileyi (mauve)

All these are sown before frost and left outside during the winter. I live in the middle of Sweden.

Other species not from the exchange:
Meconopsis balangensis var. atrata BO16-073

Meconopsis sp,BO16-081,
Note from collector, I went up Biluo Xueshan to collect M. exilis, but once I got back down I realised I may have ended up collecting M. sulphurea instead... Whatever it is, it grew at the exact type location listed for M. exilis - and it should be large, showy and very easy to grow in cooler climates.

Meconopsis intregrifolia BO16-076
Meconopsis punicea BO-15- 129

Meconopsis sp./30-40cm high/Chn.E.Tibet-Serkym-La 4100m , Jurasek 360

Meconopsis aff.horridula10cm high/Chn.E.Tibet-Mi-La5100m, Jurasek 353

Meconopsis balangensis from other location Sichuan, own exchange

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:03:46 PM by ptallbo »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 11:10:05 PM »
Exciting germination results and record keeping. Quite a mixture so will be great to see how they grow on.

ptallbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
Added pictures to all my species of the germinated seeds in the earlier post.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »
Yes, Excellent germination pictures. I had some reasonable germination this year and last week when we had a dry spell there was a lot of greenfly around. I sprayed a few plants that had it on and as they were next to the mecs, I puffed a bit on them. NOTE: Not a good idea, it has wiped out a fair amount of the germinated seed. The first few true leaves were on many and when I looked in a couple of days time, they were all withered and brown. Lesson Learned....the hard way :(. There are some that seem OK though, so at least they didn't all die.

A question for all the growers out there, what sort of feeding do you give the young seedlings? I have been using Miracid in a liquid  feed. I also note that a lot of people seem to prick out and move the seedlings on a lot earlier than I would thing of doing. Is this right? Do you put slow release fertiliser in the bottom of the mix in the potting on pots?

Tips and advice all welcome. The group can all learn from each and everyone's experiences.
Matt Heasman

ptallbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
M venusta coming through.....

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
I wonder whether you would be better with a smaller grain of grit ?  We used to use grit off our beach when we were at Kerrachar (after washing off the salt and seaweed).  These days we use Flint Chick Grit which is excellent after sieving off any sand.

ptallbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
They do not see to bather about the size of these, they are screeplants so they have no problem with this it. This is the second time I sow these, first time all died... :( so crossing fingers that these will do. I use to all my plants even the small Saxifragas and they have no problem to get through. We do only have this smashed rockmaterial here...there are a smaller size to get but I only get it from time to time..but this work as well. I always pour the grit in first and then the seeds so they fall like nature in some crevice.