Author Topic: Meconopsis exilis (or is it sulphurea)  (Read 1103 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Meconopsis exilis (or is it sulphurea)
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:36 PM »
Received my final batch of seeds from Bjornar Olsen (trillium.no) today.  They include something he sold as Meconopsis sp. He says he intended to collect Meconopsis exilis but when he got home he realised it might actually be Meconopsis sulphurea. Whichever, I found three packets in my batch of seeds. My first impression is that the seeds are larger than what I have sown as M. integrifolia or pseudointegrifolia but under the hand lens they have  a similar shape to the seeds of M. integrifolia he sent and are only marginally larger. I have sown a batch today and have plenty left for next year so if anyone would like one of the spare packets I am happy to send them to a good home.

I have had excellent results with seeds from trillium.no. Have just germinated all his 2014 and 2015 seeds I had left and his are easily the best of the wild-colletected seeds for germination success. What a shame this is his final year.

IanScott

• View Profile
Re: Meconopsis exilis (or is it sulphurea)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Here is a scaled image of Meconopsis sulphurea seed, collected in Yunnan, for comparison.

If it was collected on the Bilouxueshan in NW Yunnan, then it should be Meconopsis sulphurea, rather than Meconopsis integrifolia, but the photograph of seed heads looks more like Meconopsis lijiangensis which grows a bit further east.  Just have to grow it and find out!

I notice that he also collected seed of Meconopsis pulchella.  Was this one of your purchases?  I am growing this species from a completely different source, so it would be very useful to photograph the seed (which would be returned) if I could borrow some for a few days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:17:51 PM by IanScott »

Orrawran

• View Profile
Re: Meconopsis exilis (or is it sulphurea)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
How can I measure it?