Author Topic: When to sow  (Read 2176 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
When to sow
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »
Many tears ago there was extensive discussion about the optimum time to sow the big blue mecs such as baileyi and Lingholm and the consensus at the time favoured February. We have largely stuck with this although sowing a little earlier hasn't made any significant difference. In the January 2015 edition of 'The Rock Garden' Geoff Hill reported extensive trials on a number of other Meconopsis species which showed maximum germination success from sowings in October or November.

Last year I started to experiment with this approach with mixed success. Perhaps because I broke my own rules and moved the seed pots into the greenhouse for a while, overall germination was the poorest I ever had. Those seeds I did succeed with germinated only slightly better when sown on 24th October than on January 17th. M. napaulensis (hort) and M. paniculata from two different sources sown on October 24th all germinated on November 26th. M.staintonii alba did not germinate until May 19th, a few days after the seeds sown on January 17th.

This year I sowed a handful of species in November. So far only one species has germinated successfully - I spotted avery full germination of M. balangensis this morning from a sowing on November 25th. I have posted elsewhere a query about how to grow this species. The seed came from Bjarne Olsen (Trillium) last year and I got good and equally rapid germination from a sowing on February 7th so I am not sure what I was thinking about in chosing a November sowing this year. I have asked for advice elsewhere about how to grow this species on - I singularly failed last year.

It would be interesting to know when other forum readers find to be the optimum sowing time for various species.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
Re: When to sow
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:05:58 PM »
Hello many thanks for all your details as this is the last day of 2016 I will sow some seed first thing tomorrow morning a new year a new start this has been successful for germination over many years however just today I checked some seed pots aown  end of November and I see already a few seedlings emerging this is the mildest December we have had for a long time and I an sure that winter is still to come.  I send every member the VERY Best Wishes for 2017

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Happy New Year to all.

I have done most of my sowing in the autumn in the past. Last year I did a little bit in the spring and never really noticed any difference. Perhaps slightly less success from the Spring sowing. I do always wonder how the seedlings that germinated in the late Aut/Winter would do if we got a really cold spell, but we have never had a severe cold winter since growing Mecs.

This year I am going to try the Mid January sowing to see how that goes. For me generally getting the seed to germinate doesn't seem to be a problem, it is when they get growing the issues start.
Matt Heasman

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
Never have much problem with germinating or growing on the big blue poppies but germination of everything else is much less certain. Last year was an almost complete failure with seeds from our own exchange, for example.

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »
I didn't do too well with last years seed from the exchange either but in my case I blamed the mice which invaded my greenhouse within days of sowing the seeds and dug up each and every seed tray! I think they managed to eat or destroy about 90% of the seeds before they even got the chance to germinate. I've got a lot of seeds to sow again this year but will need to either cover each and every seed tray or maybe start them off elsewhere, luckily I've got a summerhouse in the garden which has a clear roof panel and a large window at the front, think I'd better put my seed trays in there initially this time around.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
Hello Alan we have used the following tip for years works well once you have sown your seed either in pots or trays take a piece of fleece place over the seed post and tie around the rim for trays just wrap fleece around tuck ends under to make sure no spaces. The fleece allows all rain and frost to get in but voles and mice do not eat through this with us make sure fleece is loose so that when seed germinates you can pull it up to allow seedling to develop no slugs or snails can get in either, cheers
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:30:52 AM by Meconopsis_Group »

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
Hello, it's the first time I managed to get meconopsis seedlings. I sew the seeds (different species) as soon as I got them (in december I think) and now I have the first little plantlets of "M. lingholm" and "M. Hensol Violet". Nothing has happened in the other seed trays for the moment.

The seed trays were kept outside in an unheated greenhouse but since the temperature can still drop well below 0°C, I put the seedlings inside the house (unheated room). Was it right to do this or can meconopsis seedlings withstand frost (If yes, to wich degree?)?

Thanks in advance for your help

Paul

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
Hello please put you seedling back in the unheated glasshouse they will get drawn and soft in the house if possible cover with some fleece if temperatures go really low we have several pots of recently germinated seedlings is a cold glasshouse   just watch not to water if very cold, cheers.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:04:48 PM by Meconopsis_Group »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
Good results for a first time. The rest will follow soon. Fleece covers are a great idea and also keep them well ventilated during the day.