Author Topic: Plant not flowering  (Read 1159 times)

redkite

• View Profile
Plant not flowering
« on: December 15, 2016, 11:54:08 AM »

I have two plants of Meconopsis Dalemain bought at Dalemain. This is their third year, both now quite vigorous plants and one has flowered each year, and the other not at all. Both plants are adjacent to each other in a moist slightly shady location. Is there anything I can do to encourage the plant to flower.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
Re: Plant not flowering
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
Hello this is most unusual if both plants are near each other perhaps the plants have to much feeding if they are producing a good established plant then they should flower this year if not move it to a a more open area let us know how it performs this year, cheer
s.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Plant not flowering
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
I have had a similar type of issue with a big plant I lifted and divided myself. Some of the replanted divisions flowered the following year and other parts did not. I think the parts that did not flower were from the outside of the division and the lifting set back the flower development. I lifted these non flowering sections and brought them on in some big pots and they were replanted in the garden the following year when they eventually did flower.
I have noticed on M. Dalemain in the border that there are always leaf rosettes around the outside of the clump that do not flower and that is usually a sign for me that I need to lift and divide the clump. It does grow really well for me. It is in a moist area in the garden that is quite shaded.