Author Topic: Meconopsis baileyi x latifolia  (Read 1865 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Meconopsis baileyi x latifolia
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the origin of the seeds offered under this naming on the SRGC seedlist last year ? I posted a query on the SRGC forum but received no response and an internet trawl only feeds me back to that forum post. I did raise plants and then forgot about them until I spotted them among the baileyis and Lingholms as something different. Slightly greyer foliage than ordinary baileyi but otherwise similar. One plant is now in my tiny back garden meconopsis plot and, for what it is worth, it has gone back more slowly than the type baileyi next to it. We also bought a 'blue meconopsis' hybrid from Elizabeth MacGregor last summer which is also in the same area and looks quite similar in leaf and in its response to frost. Too soon to equate them in any way otherwise and more will be revealed if they overwinter successfully and flower next Spring.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
Re: Meconopsis baileyi x latifolia
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
do you have any pictures Peter? It may help your query....Matt
Matt Heasman

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
Yes I think so, Mat, though I'm really hoping to track down the seed donor.  If I can't do that then I may need to wait for a full season of growth next year and try to document the various stages. If I find the pictures of the young plants I will post them.
I have to correct what I said about the dieback. It is a seedling of M. 'Evelyn' that I planted in the garden which was superficially similar to the Elizabeth Macgregor plant. As of today, the dying leaves of Evelyn are comaratively golden whilst the EM plant is more silvery.

Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:26:31 AM »
I think that you will find that the plants from Elizabeth Macgregor will be different to any seedlings arising from M. 'Evelyn'. The plants from E.M come from a fertile blue given to her many years ago. The resulting plants are variable.

I too have young plants arising from M. 'Evelyn' and am growing them to see how similar they are to the parent plant. and to each other.  Please keep your plants for observation only. It would be best not to distribute any seeds from such plants as M. 'Evelyn'. This meconopsis, although fertile, should only be propagated by division to maintain the true form. 

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
Could Carole and Ian Bainbridge be able to advise where the donation came from. Not sure if they keep records but must be worth a try if you have not already done so.

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 06:45:33 PM »
No, they don't have records. I did check with them. 

Yes, I'm quite clear that the Elizabeth Macgregor plant is different from the 'Evelyn' seedling. The four 'Evelyn' seedlings I am looking after all look very uniform at this stage and, as I mentioned, are going back loking quite different from the E Mac plant.