Author Topic: Image Sizes  (Read 2095 times)

IanScott

• View Profile
Image Sizes
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:44:44 PM »
Images sizes are important.  The bigger the image size (up to 120k), the larger the expansion window when you click on the image thumbnail.  If you click on the first image thumbnail below, you can see all of the detail as it is a large file (116k). But the second image thumbnail is only 44k, so the expansion window and view-able detail are reduced.

I am using 'Paint' to resize my photographs.  Starting from a 2MB image, a 20% reduction gives me a 120k image (roughly).

As you said, it's also important to remember to 'Save as' with an altered name.

Using 'Paint' also allows me to add a copyright label to the image.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:07:05 PM by IanScott »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Image Sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
Excellent example Ian, really clear when enlarged.  I have worked out to copy my image and then resize the copy image by right clicking and then using 'custom' to resize. Its important to remember to save an original copy for future use.

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:56:16 PM »
Interesting that the smaller image size shows as a larger picture in your post but the larger image size brings up another screen to show the better image. So 120 Kb is the maximum size.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial Ian, I am sure it will help. I think there will be a steep learning curve for some Forum users. I can see a talk title appearing in the near future. Matt
Matt Heasman

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »
Getting the hang of the resizing. Here's one of Barney's Blue.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Ah folks, now could this be a topic/tutorial for a talk at one of the meetings?

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:24:10 PM »
Definitely as a follow on to the great talk on photography by Liz Cole. Some techie skills linking the photographs & pc work.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »
Hello all try clicking on the paper clip symbol at left of picture this should show another window at bottom left of screen click on that to see bigger picture, cheers  Meconopsis Group

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »
Clicking on the paperclip also allows you to 'Save as' and save the image to your computer if you like. Remember, if you use downloaded images and are using them for a talk or display, you should give credit to the original owner of the picture or the website you got it from....Matt
Matt Heasman

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
As you have probably noticed, some members are inserting images within the text (in-line) rather than as attachments.  One advantage seems to be that SMF automatically re-sizes the images for you. 

The icon for inserting an image is the first one in the second row (underneath B for bold), and your cursor appears between the html commands to open and close an image address ......... [img]    [ /img] 

Now the bad news.  As far as I can tell, you can only use this icon facility if you are adding the 'image address' from the internet. So, if you have images on social media sites it should work, otherwise ...............

Once again, as our Moderator has said, please do not infringe another person's copyright.

Steseno

• View Profile
    • MMM
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 12:13:21 PM »
If you're using paint and you want to lower the resolution of your photo without destroying it's quality I'd recommend trying to save it as *.png file, because this format allows lossless data compression :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss