Author Topic: Meconopsis delavayi  (Read 3800 times)

true blue

Meconopsis delavayi
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:52:14 PM »
Meconopsis delavayi, another elusive one. Who is growing this beyond getting the seed to germinate?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:21:18 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

true blue

Re: Meconopsis delavayi
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:55:20 PM »
Cyril is a member of the Group now so will need to get his best images and knowledge. Perhaps he could do a Digital Herbarium study over the months if he still has the plants next year, or of course some new ones.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:21:47 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
I am having a bit better luck with this. I have about 2 plants in the garden that are about 2 years old now, they haven't flowered but have at least lasted...so far. I think I have about another 2-4 seedlings that germinated late this summer and hopefully will show up next spring.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:22:06 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »
Matt Heasman

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »
Here is a recent picture from Cyril I have lost my plant.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:24:02 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »
Lovely plant and excellent photograph.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:24:20 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Steve Garvie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
I have a plant that produced a single flower this year. It had a good growing season and is now multi-nosed. I also have a couple of "yearlings" which again have had a good growing season.
I've probably now signed their death warrant by stating that!  ;)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:24:35 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »
Would one of you possibly please mind advising, how big were your plants before they died back at the end of their first autumn? Many thanks, Nick.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:53:30 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »
Beautiful!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:53:47 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
Great picture Steve hope all your other plants survive the winter cheers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:54:35 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
Hi Steve

A fantastic Picture. I have two small seedlings that are about 2yrs old, so fingers crossed they will make it over this winter. How old was the plant that flowered? My soil is a little on the heavy side but they have popped up over the last 2 years so I am frightened to move them....Matt

I have a plant that produced a single flower this year. It had a good growing season and is now multi-nosed. I also have a couple of "yearlings" which again have had a good growing season.
I've probably now signed their death warrant by stating that!  ;)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:26:34 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »
Matt Heasman

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Hello I have raised seedlings a few times sow seed in a deep pot never prick them out first year second year when I see growth I plant all seedling out without disturbing them allowing them to grow bigger third year lift seedlings and plat out  what has survived most young seedlings are kept under cover  for 2 years sorry to say have still lost my plants, cheers
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:26:06 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Leslie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »
I've grown this over a few years. I find that the seed germinates readily and I transfer seedlings to root trainers. When the plant is growing well I spray regularly with a weak fungicide. I usually get a couple of plants to flower each year. They die down to a resting bud and might return the next year.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:25:46 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Cyril L

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 10:13:57 PM »
I have grown Meconopsis delavayi from SRGC seeds for a few years.  My best plant is now 5 years old and grows on a raised bed which only gets morning sun.  The photo was taken last year when it flowered at its best with 9 open flowers.  I have another plant in the peat bed and one at the bottom of a crevice bed but they do not clump up so well.  Last year I sowed my own seeds (which the plants set spontaneously) and got several seedlings.  They were pricked when large enough to handle in small 2.5" pots and left outside in a shady place once established.  With hindsight I should have pricked them into bigger pots as there is a lesser risk of them drying out.  Fortunately the summer was a damp one and most survived and were planted out in the autumn.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:25:27 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 10:33:18 PM »
Cyril....You make it sound so easy and it certainly looks wonderful. We will all need to try all of your techniques as many members are really desperate to have them. I have only ever seen them at RBGE in a stone trough protected with a glass frame structure by Elspeth overhead, tucked away in behind the scenes. Next year there were some in the Alpine house cold frame beds but I never saw them again despite searching. You must have the Midas touch. Or should that be we know you have the Midas touch.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:26:57 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »
A lovely picture Cyril. I have a couple of young plants that are about 2 years old now, cant say they are thriving, but they did appear again after their first winter out (Last Year). I put a little plastic temp cloche over for winter rain protection, so fingers crossed they will appear next year. Just for the notes, they are quite late in the season before I see them. Is this the same for you? I think its quite late May before I saw them sprouting.

On another note, I have been struggling with M. quintuplinervia and was delighted to have a fairly good looking plant growing again. I have just recently found out that it has rotten off at the top. Hum Ho, will need to try again.

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:27:15 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »
Matt Heasman

Cyril L

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 09:23:42 PM »
I like to grow from seeds so I can have a few plants to try in different places in the garden.  The raised bed has proved to be a good place, I guess because of the perfect drainage and also I chose a position avoiding the midday sun.

Matt, they are prone to rotting over the winter so a cloche for protection at this crucial time may be helpful.  I think they start sprouting earlier than late May as they are usually in full flower with me by the first week in June.  In fact Henry and Margaret Taylor showed a superb plant in a trough at the Glasgow show (5th May) in 2012, I assume grown with the protection of a greenhouse.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:28:03 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »
Thanks Cyril

I am sure you are right, I just know they seem to be the last Mecs to appear. Fingers crossed they do so this spring. It's just around the corner now....well nearly ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:29:24 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »
Matt Heasman

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
Remind me Matt and I shall lift and divide some for you when the growth really starts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:30:10 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »
That would be very kind of you. Thanks. I hope I have managed to keep my seedlings going though as it would be a great achievement for me.
Matt Heasman