Author Topic: Growing from seed  (Read 1959 times)

true blue

Growing from seed
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:43:03 PM »
As there is always plenty seed in a packet I tend to grow three different ways. Belts and Braces as my father would say. If one lot fails you may still have a chance with the others.

Lot one ... Thinly on top of proprietary seed compost, covered lightly with vermiculite and watered from the bottom. These are then kept in the cold greenhouse and/or the cold frame. I protect these with chicken wire from birds and mice!(sad experience).

Lot two.... Again sown the same as above but kept on the window ledge in a cool room at the darker side of the house out of the direct sun.
These two are done  January sometime and take anything from 4 to 6 weeks to germinate depending on temperature outside.

Lot three.... Started same as above but put in a propagator in the greenhouse set at 19 degrees max. These germinate very quickly compared to the others so I take them out of the propagator and then store the pots in trays with a plastic clear lid over them which I try and keep quite loose for ventilation and when I remember and its not too cold I take the plastic cover off completely during daylight.

All seed sown if successful catches up with all the others and you cannot tell the difference in the size of the plants once potted on by about July. I only ever water from below and try and keep a lot of space between plants when available.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
Re: Growing from seed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
We collect seeds and store in an empty margarine tub then sort our when we have time one good tip is when you see seed heads beginning to open tie a piece of fleece around the stems make a bag around the seeds will drop into bag when ready just in case you are away at that time when you see seed in the bag cut the stems turn them upside down you have saved the seed remove from bag and store

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:07:37 AM »
 the last picture shows seed as we collect it then we select the best to sow  usually first week in January place all seed pots tray outside to get frost and rain bring inside when we see germination.

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
Do the seeds not get stuck in the fleece?

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »
We usually hang the bag upside down to let seed heads dry out no problems with seed sticking usually have plenty so no worries if we lose a few.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 04:20:15 PM »
Have a few seeds germinating M. grandis and MGS 3  I now add a good layer of Perlite mixed with the compost on top layer have found this helps prevent damping off also add to pricking out mix. Hard frost and snow today
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:52:29 AM by Meconopsis_Group »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »
They are looking good Ian. I am hoping to see some sprouting soon.....nothing appearing yet ;D
Matt Heasman