Author Topic: Growing Meconopsis  (Read 7567 times)

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
Growing Meconopsis
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »
Please let us know all your secrets for successful growing, location soil type any useful details

true blue

Re: Growing Meconopsis
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:55:06 PM »
I would love a walled garden, in my dreams of course. My garden used to be the field where the animals grazed before going to the market ring  so I am very fortunate that for 100 or so years it was well fed and my soil is just perfect for growing lots. Saying that though my Meconopsis grow much better at the bottom of a slight slope leaning towards the house. Every spring I clean off all the old years growth when I am hopeful frosts are over but always get caught out quite late. I am about 650 feet above sea level in South Lanarkshire. I mulch with leaf mould or garden compost and feed with pelleted chicken manure about April. I don't have much problem with drying out but usually once a year or so I may need to  put a sprinkler on in the evening when we have had really warm weather.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:03:38 PM »
I wondered how your Mecs always looked so well fed. Cold area though and like me in the East Kilbride/Blantyre area at about 650 ft, late frosts have been known at the end of Mat and very occasionally June.
Matt Heasman

true blue

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 11:16:33 PM »
Yes very cold quite late and very windy as well. I think though very much like the conditions in China and Nepal. Secretly though I am hoping for some snow this year to protect the crowns. Overnight mind you and roads automatically cleared before I get up! but still laying in the borders for weeks.

Johan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
It's great to see this forum! I hope to learn alot from visiting here.
Cheers Johan

aaseg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
I don`t think I have any growing secrets to share, but I think our climate is good for growing Meconopsis. I live in northern Norway, 80 km`s north of the Arctic circle . The last years winters have been very snowy and also periods of much rain (like now in December). We don`t have very high summer temperatures, and Summers might be very rainy as well, but we have the ligth summer nights (alnd of the midnight sun etc.) and that compensates for lack of sun. I grow Meconopsis from seed . Not having a greenhouse , I grow them in the loft with some artificial light. Outside the plants grow in a mix of natural peat ,compost, and traditional garden soil. Last season I was given some horse manure, and mixed it with garden soil. The new plants (from seed) was planted in this mix, and grew very well. NextSpring will tell how successful this has been.. :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:54:02 PM by aaseg »

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:18:22 AM »
Hello thanks for your details about growing your Meconopsis this is exactly the kind of posts we are looking for every person where ever they stay have a different climate. Here in the North East of Scotland I start sowing seed on the 1st of January this is usually in pots maybe a few trays for the easy ones all are placed outside without cover  we get lots of rain frost and snow seed will germinate usually in February March then pots are brought inside I also sow some seed immediately it is ripe of the difficult species save a little bit to sow in January as well good to have a back up, look forward to hearing how your seeds  grow, cheers.

Celebri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »
My meconopsis grows in Russia (USDA 4), I choose the place, where in winter is 1,5-2 meter high snow.
Below zero can be from late October to early June. First year bought plant - no blooming (2015), blossom in second year(2016).It grows in the shade.
Soil is the loam on the former site of the oak grove.

These are different flowers on the same plant
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:53:47 PM by Celebri »
I'm sorry, I'm terribly speak English ;)

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »
Your English if fine Celebri. Nice pictures. Is this Mec betonicifolia?
Matt Heasman

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 07:53:41 AM »
Hello welcome to this forum great to hear from you and to see your Meconopsis which are M. baileyi I am sure if you are or could become a member you can get seed of different Meconopsis. cheers.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
Although the Meconopsis Group seed exchange closed on 4th December, new members who join over winter are sent a small selection of the remaining seed, free of charge. Membership runs for the calendar year and costs £8 (UK) and £13 (non-UK). The price difference reflects the fact that non-UK members do not pay an additional fee (£5) when using the seed exchange.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
Thanks for these details Ian I am sure that some visitors to this Forum would welcome seed  when they join the group.

Celebri

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
Your English if fine Celebri. Nice pictures. Is this Mec betonicifolia?

I think probably betonicifolia. The label maker has written only "meconopsis". But betonicifolia apparently sold at us more often than other species.
I'm sorry, I'm terribly speak English ;)

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 08:30:48 PM »
Hello again A problem with these names  these used to be known as M. betonicifolia then was changed after almost 100 years to M.  baileyi  when DNA work realised we had a new true M. betonicifolia a bit complicated but details on Web site when possible.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
Re: Growing Meconopsis on Behalf of Cluny Gardens
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »
This post has been made on behalf of John Mattingley at Cluny Gardens Perthshire:

"Happy new year,
Thought that I should let you know what I /we have been  playing with and hope to continue with over the coming years. I have  around 50 Meconopsis staintonii in the garden at Cluny this year and these have already displayed a range of colours from huge ten foot tall late flowering white blooms to 5 foot pink, red, purple, sky blue, strong yellow to a soft lemon yellow. All grown from Chadwell seed introduced a few years ago. There is also a 6 foot white flower with a pink thumb print at the base of the petal admired by some and disliked by others. Interestingly enough some of our plants are showing that staintonii is some times not monocarpic but capable of flowering up to 3 years in a row (so far).
We are also going to be planting around 40 Meconopsis napaulensis (yellow flowers ) grown from seed generously given to us from Glenarn garden and these will probable flower mainly next year (2018) and we have been given 6 plants of a lovely pink form from another source. Our job is to try to keep the different, closely related, plants apart so that reliable colour forms can be grown. Of course Cluny will always have a mixture of colours as well since we are a very informal garden.
It goes without saying that we would be delighted for you all to come and see these plants in all their glory over the coming season.
Web site: clunyhousegardens.com
"

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:33:46 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »
Matt Heasman

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
Update from John - the web site address should be

clunyhousegardens.com
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:32:46 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
Great to see the post from John and Wendy Mattingley at Cluny. Their white form of M. staintonii seems to match the monster stem that Ian Scott brought to the autumn 2015 meeting. Has the DNA been done ?  Seems odd that the white form is so much taller than all the rest though there is no intrinsic reason why the genes that control flower colour should not be coupled to the genes for height. I have young plants of the white form grown from Ian's seed and will plant them out on the assumption they will be really tall. I also have seeds from two of John and Wendy's plants just sown so am hoping they will germinate. Have only flowered a red form so far (exCC7478). This had really fine red flowers but was a mere four feet in height (and definitely monocarpic).

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »
Seems to me that it largely comes down to soil conditions, how wet or dry your garden is and feeding the plants enough. I've got heavy clay soil and a garden located close to the Clyde Valley, which means in effect that the local micro climate is on the whole rather wet and cloudy as the valley seems to draw cloud and rain from both the west and east coasts being roughly an hour from either coast in Scotland and it is rarely ever very hot or extremely cold either. In effect it kind of suits Meconopsis for most of the year as the clay soil with added compost/manure gives the plants plenty of moisture and feeding.

The down side is that my garden is on a kind of level bit on a much longer more gradual slope running down towards the River Clyde, which means that all of my uphill neighbours very kindly let most of the rain that falls on their gardens drain down into my garden, given that the area is already high rainfall this can be problematic if we get a very wet winter and the last two winters have been extremely wet, which leaves the water table often virtually at soil level for weeks at a time. Due to this I have lost most of the named forms of Meconopsis that I have had in the garden such as Crewdson Hybrid, Willie Duncan, Marit and Ascreavie. They all grew well for a time and then drowned during particularly wet winters, an accident of exact location in the garden in some cases I would guess. The only form which grew and grew no matter how wet it got was Huntfield which is pretty much indestructible in my garden. Other forms such as Jimmy Bayne simply wither and die for me, ditto for Mrs Jebb, it simply refuses to grow for me, which is curious as Crewdson Hybrid is supposed to be closely related to it and when I had it growing it always did very well.

As some of you will know I do dabble a bit in hybridising Meconopsis and have found that most of the resulting hybrids are very well adapted to my local conditions and thrive, so I'm not too concerned at not having as wide a range of the named forms as I used to have as the hybrids are more than good enough to fill the gap and I've got lots of seed courtesy of Ian Scott plus last years hybridising efforts to sow soon as well.

To summarise I would say, that if you are sufficiently motivated and have roughly the correct sort of climate (i.e. not too hot in summer) and neutral to acid soil conditions, then with a bit of effort you should be able to grow Meconopsis, just add lots of organic matter to the soil and keep them well watered during the summer and you stand a good chance of success. Ideally Meconopsis appreciate a definite winter with some snow over the ground to keep them nice and snug until springtime, precisely the conditions they would have in their native Himalayas, lacking these conditions where I am the only other solution which I need to do more of is to create more raised beds to allow the soil to drain enough to stop the plants from rotting when we get wetter than average winters.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
I am posting a picture taken today showing M. quintuplinervia foliage well ahead for January cheers.

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »
Never thought for a minute I would have any growth this early. After seeing your image went out to the garden this morning after a week of snow lying and found I have M.quintuplinervia in growth as well. This usually does not show until about March. Its wishful thinking but I hope for no frost now but know still have months of possibility. This is the M.quintuplinervia that has leaves that are more of a lime green colour. The other one with the blue green leaves is also showing growth but only about a centimetre in the centre of the clumps. I have covered all with a bit of old dry foliage to protect a bit.(hopefully)

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 11:37:57 PM »
I've had a few leaves on some of my hybrids which were standing up happily until hard frosts hit them in December but still some of the leaves kept going but was surprised to see a whole fresh rosette well up on one of my Huntfield plants, that has to be the earliest that has ever happened!

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
On my Meconopsis Huntfield too. Never had this in January. They look so healthy. Its the same in the border and in the big pots.
Last years little seedling plants over wintering in the cold frame are also showing new growth. I never usually even have a look in there until about February as I never expect to see growth.

Allan Jamieson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
Found some more rosettes starting to grow on some of my early flowering hybrids too.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »
We have had some winter weather here today some snow last week hard frost and snow walked around garden plants today quite a few growing  well  Meconopsis x cookei and M. quintuplinervia well ahead with some Meconopsis Mop Head growing well a few other M. George Sherriff group as well cheers.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »
More pictures

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
Meconopsis Mop Head

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 04:28:21 PM »
M. George Sherriff Group

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
I have been busy recently lifting and splitting Meconopsis weather has been perfect for this with lots of rain and cooler days I avoid the few warm days we have had. I pot some plants for sale then prepare a new bed by adding leaf mould any composts we have and a little fertiliser . I am also trying some new areas by making up ridges like potato rows to plant on top of these winter here very wet and soil like porridge I hope these ridges will give more drainage

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »
More pictures

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »
Two more

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 10:27:14 PM »
They are all looking good Ian. I now have some germination from this years seed and a few from last year. I will try to post a few pictures for all to see. Exciting times, I just love it when things start to germinate.
Matt Heasman

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
There has been frost for the last two nights so some of the Gardening Scotland pots have been moved in to the little poly tunnel for overnight protection. They have been out all winter with no protection at all. The others are still in behind the garage and they now have a fleece ready to pull over them at night. The growth rate is very different between them all with M. 'Mildred' in the lead followed closely behind by M. 'Huntfield'.

AliceB

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
Four new buds on M. X cookie ‘Old Rose’. They must have arrived a few days ago as they are already heads down. They were the last to stop flowering last autumn. They are growing in a pot but were outside all winter.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »
Hello we have had severe gales recently and very dry weather the gales have shreded many Meconopsis however several are flowering early, Meconopsis Mop Head,

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
A few more pictures, Meconopsis x cookei Old Rose we are trying to make sure that Meconopsis will be o?k for Chelsea not easy with the weather.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
Two picture taken today Meconopsis x cookei 'Satin' my hybrid made some time ago have manged to bulk up now cheers.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »
This plant is flowering now grown from group seed any ideas, cheers.

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 08:00:39 PM »
The spines on the flowing scape suggest Meconopsis horridula (of hort), or similar.  We have distributed Meconopsis horridula (of hort) (pale blue) and Meconopsis pratti (of hort) (white) in recent years.  Is it that sort of size? 

Please see if it produces viable seed.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »
Hello yes quite small plants I do remember M. pratti thanks.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
I posted some pictures a while ago of this Meconopsis still not flowering it is nearly 5 ft tall different leaves with clusters of flower buds in the leaf axis look forward to seeing it flower hope the weather is kind.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 08:27:44 AM »
A few more cheers

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »
First flowers open today looks like Meconopsis wallichii not the colour I expexted but good for me cheers

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:46 PM »
I recently visited Holehird garden near Kendall several very tall elegant Meconopsis were in flower similar leaves and flowers to the one posted here except flowers were white 6 ft tall and not M. wallichii as I suggested I post a few pictures.

Meconopsis_Group

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Meconopsis Group
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »
Another picture

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
I wonder whether the plants at Holehird were seedlings from the M staintonii albiflorum which Ian brought to the October 15 meeting.
Pat Murphy would know.

Blues Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 06:16:15 PM »
The Holehird plants were grown by me from Ian Scott's seed, ex CC3317. As far as I am concerned, the identification is unclear, but I do not think it is M. staintonii alba, which I have also flowered this summer in my own garden. The original seed collection of CC3317 was labelled as from Khumbu, well to the east of where M.staintonii grows. I will post some more images  in the near future in the species section.