Author Topic: My Mecs are waking up for 2019  (Read 164 times)

IanScott

• View Profile
My Mecs are waking up for 2019
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »
The warmth of the last few days has worked wonders with the over-wintering Mecs and there are exciting things coming up all over the garden:

The red-tinted hairy crowns of Meconopsis integrifolia ssp souliei came through first and 12 of the 14 plants seems to have come through the winter without protection (even if it was a mild winter). These should flower this year.

Last year's Meconopsis integrifolia ssp integrifolia seedlings have woken up in their pots and will get planted out well away from the other sub-species, but it will be interesting to compare the two of them.

A couple of the Meconopsis henrici, which didn't flower last year, have come through the gravel in their trough but the seedlings, which replaced those which did flower, still have to emerge.

Two pots of Meconopsis psilonomma are showing signs of life but nothing yet with the Meconopsis yaoshanesis.

Most pleasing are the seedlings of Meconopsis heterandra which are in another gravel trough.  At least half a dozen leaf buds emerging.  Some seem to have small red hairs along the leaf margins, but other don't.  Interesting. We'll just have to wait and see how things progress.

What delights are other members seeing?

Blue Stu

• View Profile
Re: My Mecs are waking up for 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
I've lost about a third of the integrifolia ssp integrifolia at the allotment but the survivors look healthy. The main root on the dead-uns is hollow with tiny white bugs inside, I don't think they are the culprits, I think its leatherjackets which I had problems with last year.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
Re: My Mecs are waking up for 2019
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »
Just checked my seeds, it looks like MG18/16 betonicifolia, MG18/40 napaulensis, & MG18/42 paniculata ex SVS all sown 21 Jan 2019 are starting to appear.
The MG18/24 dhwojii sown 7 dec 2018 germinated in january but I've lost about half of them with damping-off.
They've been in my lean-to which doesn't get any sun during the winter but are getting some now. I think I'd better move them all or they'll get scorched. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk