Author Topic: Growing evergreen Meconopsis  (Read 703 times)

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
Growing evergreen Meconopsis
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
At Kerrachar we could grow M. napaulensis (hort), M. paniculata, M. wallichii, M. superba  etc almost anywhere in the open garden but so far in Sheffield have confined such plants to shady spots. My instinct is that these plants should be slightly more tolerat of open conditions than the baileyi/grandis/gakyidiana/blue hybrid group. What do other people think ?  I have more germinations than usual this year so might be a little more adventurous but would be good to know what others have experienced,

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
Re: Growing evergreen Meconopsis
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
Hi Peter

i have grown M. superba a few times here in West central Scotland and find i need to put a cloche over superba and the few napaluensis i have ever grown. if i don't the winter wet gets to them, even in the grittiest soil conditions.

It's happened so many times i now always make sure they are covered.
Matt Heasman

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
Interesting that you lose so much.  How much rainfall do you get, Matt ?   We averaged 1600mm at Kerrachar but our peat soil was very free-draining (after treatment). Here in Sheffield the rosette formers seem to have come through this winter.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
I am afraid I don't have rainfall figures peter. But it is significant... I am sure. My soil type is also not perfect. We are in a heavy clay area so I have to add lots of grit and peat to try to improve it. I am about 650ft high so we also get quite a bit of frost when it is about.
Matt Heasman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk