Author Topic: Dodgy dhwojii  (Read 2039 times)

Blue Stu

• View Profile
Dodgy dhwojii
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
I have 34 dhwojii from the last distribution in pots, about 10 of them are showing distortion to the central leaves. The affected plants are distributed amongst the batch, they are not all in one place. I have only fed them once with Chempack balanced fertiliser & not use any pesticides, none of the other mecs in the same place are showing the symptoms. 

This photo shows a similar shaped leaf to the distortion.

http://meconopsisworld.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/meconopsis-dhwojii.html

Is it a problem or does the leaf shape in dhwojii change as the plant matures?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:55:46 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgy dhwojii
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »
I have looked at mine from this years sowing and there is no distortion like yours in any of them.  The image is of last years sowing plant today so does not look as though these leaves have altered over time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:56:42 PM by Meconopsis_Matt »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
Your plant looks much more vigorous than mine. The colour is deeper & the purple base to the bristles isn't so pronounced. Maybe I should feed them more.
It looks now as if its a virus
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:13:05 AM by Blue Stu »

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
I sent off a plant to RHS advice. This is their reply, any comments and/or has anyone else got dhwojii from the same distribution?

;--------------
Thank you for your enquiry to RHS Gardening Advice.

We have examined your Meacanopsis and agree that the especially hairy, crowded growth in the rosette is unusual but we can find no explanation for the change in growth form.

A plant was tested for disease and none was found, nor was there any sign of a pest at work. If these plants are distributed through the trays, it is possible that the growth form is a result of the genetic instructions within the seeds. Environmental or chemical affects on the parent(s) could account for distorted growth from seeds.

I am sorry that we can not be of more help in this instance.

;-------------------

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 12:52:25 PM »
Late last autumn the dhwojii were starting to die off so I moved them into a greenhouse for the winter. I now have only 8 left which I have potted on, they are still in the greenhouse for now. The distortion has reduced on the remaining plants & I think they look quite healthy.
Somebody has put a comment elsewhere that dhwojii like growing under the shelter of a rock & may need winter protection so I'll bear that in mind.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:22:49 PM by Blue Stu »

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »
We used to grow dhwojii happily on a peat terrace and first saw the species at Branklyn in the 1990's where my memory is that it was growing happily in the open. Our recent attempts to grow the species produced plants which looked (and behaved) very differently from what we remember from twenty years ago. It will be very interesting to know how your plants develop (and how big they grow).

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:39:33 PM »
I also used to grow it quite easily about 20 years ago. In the open garden rockery. Now I am really struggling.
Matt Heasman

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »
Do you think it is the same plant ?  Like you we grew dhwojii easily at Kerrachar 20 years ago but have struggled here in Sheffield.

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
It certainly looks like/similar to the plants I grew years ago.
Matt Heasman

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »
Looking at one of my very sad CCX1519 plants yesterday which have suffered from the all the rain & snow we've had this year I thought it looked similar to the distorted leaves on the dhwojii last year (see photos). Could it be that the distortion (a fungus or just too much wet?) was due to the wet weather last summer?

From the Met Office data the rainfall last june & july for Durham was the highest since 2012 at 103mm & 71mm compared to the average for the previous four years of 37mm & 57mm.
The 2017 seedlist notes comments that dhwojii may need some winter protection to avoid losses.

We have snow again this morning, a good inch has fallen so far & its forecast to turn to heavy rain. I'll be out later to move them back inside.

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
This is a re-post, apparently people cannot view the image.

Neither can I!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:57:44 PM by Blue Stu »

Meconopsis_Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Meconopsis Group
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »
I can see that picture now
Matt Heasman

Blue Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »
I cleaned the snow off & kept them in the shed for a couple of days, they are outside now but its been very cold & wet. The central leaves appear to have gone blue-ish & the pigment at the base of the hairs is more pronounced. Stress I suppose?

Added 13 April;
I've just seen Ian Christie's dhwojii on twitter, mar 2nd. The colouration is the same, he notes that its undercover.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:18:57 AM by Blue Stu »

poppy girl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »
They still look quite healthy. This weather has stressed all of us! Mine are now out of the cold greenhouse where they were overwintered and they are now in the cold frame. There are about 12 plants in the tray and probably all look different to each other. Some are quite green and some have a definite blue to the leaves. There is also a few reddish brown leaves along the bottom that are still holding on tight. Again though they still look healthy. It was Alan Oatway on his travels noticed that the healthy looking plants were under the shelter of over hanging rocks. Mine were all from the one seed packet from the exchange.
Long ago I did manage to get a plant to flower and posted an image of it on my own Art Website Gallery. Someone, and I cannot remember who, came back to me and said it may not be true and it could be M. ramsdeniorum so I posted the two names to the image! This name does get mentioned in a couple of websites as a hybrid and is in the Genus Meconopsis Book.  Margaret Thorne's images of M. Dhwojii are there for a comparison when mine come to flower.  Did Alice Bremner post an image last year of one she grew from seed, can Alice remember???

Peter Kohn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 08:31:08 AM »
Many years ago one of the seedlings I raised from our dhwojii plants turned out to look pretty much like M. napaulensis (hort). It was about four feet tall and had similar flower colour to the dhwojii parent (pale creamy yellow). Despite the disparaging comments in James Cobb it was a fine plant and I assumed it was a hybrid with one of the rosette formers we also had in the garden and therefore x ramsndeniorum. As I have mentioned before, the few dhwojii plants I have raised in Sheffield were much larger than the plants we were growing at Kerrachar twenty years ago but not as large as my 'ramsdeniorum'. I guess with a hybrid there could be plenty of variation according to who the other parent was ?

IanScott

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 11:00:15 PM »
Probably not much mileage in this hybrid, being both monocarpic and sterile.