Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Cultivars / baileyi X latifolia
« Last post by Peter Kohn on April 21, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
I have previously attempted to find information about this plant, in particular who supplied the seeds to the SRGC seed exchange and why they  believed this to be this hybrid but without success. At last October's meeting it was suggested that it was synonymous with MGS1. Having just planted  mature plants of each of these in my tiny suburban garden I am pretty sure this is not the case, so I am still puzzled. Incidentally MGS1 has so far proved to be distinctive and vigorous.  Three plants are thriving in my plot in Sheffield Botanic Gardens. Ian Scott has suggested that the cross baileyi with latifolia is impossible but James Cobb's monograph notes that there was a claim for a grandis x latifolia cross in the past so maybe ... ?
Seeds and germination issues / Re: Adenophora nikoensis var linearifolia
« Last post by Jimenaz on April 19, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
If you want to learn more about these areas, you can learn more.
Species / Re: Meconopsis pseudovenusta
« Last post by Jimenaz on April 19, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
For information related to this site, what is enough to help increase knowledge?
Pests and diseases / Re: Dodgy dhwojii
« Last post by Peter Kohn on April 16, 2018, 08:31:08 AM »
Many years ago one of the seedlings I raised from our dhwojii plants turned out to look pretty much like M. napaulensis (hort). It was about four feet tall and had similar flower colour to the dhwojii parent (pale creamy yellow). Despite the disparaging comments in James Cobb it was a fine plant and I assumed it was a hybrid with one of the rosette formers we also had in the garden and therefore x ramsndeniorum. As I have mentioned before, the few dhwojii plants I have raised in Sheffield were much larger than the plants we were growing at Kerrachar twenty years ago but not as large as my 'ramsdeniorum'. I guess with a hybrid there could be plenty of variation according to who the other parent was ?
Pests and diseases / Re: Dodgy dhwojii
« Last post by poppy girl on April 15, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »
They still look quite healthy. This weather has stressed all of us! Mine are now out of the cold greenhouse where they were overwintered and they are now in the cold frame. There are about 12 plants in the tray and probably all look different to each other. Some are quite green and some have a definite blue to the leaves. There is also a few reddish brown leaves along the bottom that are still holding on tight. Again though they still look healthy. It was Alan Oatway on his travels noticed that the healthy looking plants were under the shelter of over hanging rocks. Mine were all from the one seed packet from the exchange.
Long ago I did manage to get a plant to flower and posted an image of it on my own Art Website Gallery. Someone, and I cannot remember who, came back to me and said it may not be true and it could be M. ramsdeniorum so I posted the two names to the image! This name does get mentioned in a couple of websites as a hybrid and is in the Genus Meconopsis Book.  Margaret Thorne's images of M. Dhwojii are there for a comparison when mine come to flower.  Did Alice Bremner post an image last year of one she grew from seed, can Alice remember???
Species / Re: Meconopsis delavayi
« Last post by Peter Kohn on April 14, 2018, 01:49:38 PM »
Thanks for the information, Steve
Identification issues / Re: unknown seedling
« Last post by Blue Stu on April 13, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
Thanks, I've downloaded them, they certainly look similar to mine.
« Last post by Meconopsis_Group on April 13, 2018, 02:12:08 PM »
Next picture
« Last post by Meconopsis_Group on April 13, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
hello I am posting pictures of M. M.G 3 taken today cheers.
« Last post by Blue Stu on April 13, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »
I've found the photo on twitter. It shows some leaves & the notch appears to be parallel sided with a radius at the bottom. I'll see how my plant compares & try & get a better photo, maybe when the plant is older.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10