Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Members New & Notice Board / Group meeting Saturday 20th October 2018 RBGE
« Last post by poppy girl on October 07, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
THE MECONOPSIS GROUP MEETING
SATURDAY 20TH OCTOBER 2018
ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN EDINBURGH

10.00 to 10.30       Arrival Coffee and biscuits
10.30 to 10.45       Jim Jermyn Chairman.
                            ‘Celebrating 20 years of The Meconopsis Group
10.45 to 11.45       Alan Oatway: ‘Exploring Chinese Meconopsis’                       
11.45 to 12.30       Martin Hajman: ‘Meconopsis in Tromsø Arctic-Alpine Botanic Garden.'

12.30 to 1.30         Lunch

1.30 to 2.00         Martin Hajman:  ‘Meconopsis in Tromsø Arctic-cont                                                                                             
  2.00. to 3.00        Leoni Paterson ‘Plant hunting in the RBGE Archives:
                                            Trails left by Meconopsis and those who searched for her.
   3.00 to 3.15        Pat Murphy ‘Report on the Plant Assessment Committee’
   3.15 t0 3.30        David Rankin ‘Report on DNA.'
Hybrids / Re: M. betonicifolia x baileyi MGS#3
« Last post by Peter Kohn on September 30, 2018, 08:45:44 AM »
Just picked up this discussion.  I sowed MGS3 on 31stJanuary last year. It was extremely late in germinating (July 1st) and I was concerned that the plants would not be large enough to overwinter but in the event they were fine and having finally reached a decent size, I have recently planted three of them in the 'Meconopsis Dell' in Sheffield Botanic Gardens. No signs of stolons at this stage but the foliage is distinct from M. baileyi - coarser and hairier. I did plant a larger plant in my own garden and it flowered but then, like several other blue mecs, succumbed to the long hot dry summer despite regular watering and a shady site.
Identification issues / Re: CCX1519
« Last post by Blue Stu on September 17, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
I have now tried to collect anything that was in the seed pods which were very small, (only about the size of a pea), it was mainly dust. There appears to be some seeds which seem small & difficult to separate from the dust, whether they are viable remains to be seen.
One plant has regrown, I don't know from what. I'll try to give it some shelter this winter & see what happens next year.
Seeds and germination issues / Re: Cold and Germination
« Last post by Utruywran on September 04, 2018, 06:07:54 AM »
The story of Cold and Germination is very good.
Species / Re: Meconopsis horridula - white
« Last post by Primula Freak on September 01, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
I also had a white flowered plant, but not sure if it has set viable seed
Growing / Re: Meconopsis Lingholm reappearance
« Last post by Peter Kohn on August 08, 2018, 06:21:18 PM »
As a follow up, this summer the allotment has been completely neglected so the Lingholms there are victims of the long hot drought. At least I have seed and it is time to give up the allotment.
General Meconopsis Forum / Re: Slug Damage and Heat Tolerance
« Last post by Blue Stu on August 04, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
I've been planting up a patch of baileyii at the allotment over the past month or so, some from pots grown last year (& to varying degrees pot-bound), some of which haven't established well (in the dry weather) so I've replaced some from good plants grown this year. Today two of the newbies had collapsed, roots eaten up to the soil level. Digging them out, both had fat leatherjackets in the rootball, the obvious culprits.
Growing / Re: Meconopsis Lingholm reappearance
« Last post by Middleton on August 04, 2018, 03:53:27 PM »
Most interesting, Peter. Could the quality of soil itself play a role in this?
General Meconopsis Forum / Slug Damage and Heat Tolerance
« Last post by Peter Kohn on August 02, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
Managed to divert from general nursery work to Meconopsis today. In the Botanic Gardens I was shocked to see how most of the baileyi plants which looked well set become perennial six weeks ago are now clearly fizzling out (or have already gone). Notable exception is 'Sue's Violet'. This has also survived better than straight baileyi in my own garden. Fortunately this year I made new plantings of meconopsis on the other side of the garden which is much shadier and here the plants look really healthy despite the heat.

In the nursery I moved on a mixed tray this afternoon, half and half baileyi MGS1 and gakyidiana. Most of the MGS! were pristine but all the gakyidiana were heavily chewed by slugs, One might have thought that our long hot dry summer would have inhibited the slugs - seems to be true for the general nursery but the shade frames are a haven for slugs even though they are also a haven for frogs.

Identification issues / Re: Mec Identification
« Last post by Blue Stu on July 31, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »
Can someone clarify what un-named hybrids should be called.
Is x complexa only to be used for napaulensis (hort)?
What should paniculata and others that have been subject to some degree of crossing with one or more unknowns be called, eg paniculata (hort) or just "meconopsis hybrids" with a comment such as "rosette type"?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10